Subject: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:29:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Network Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : RESTCONF Protocol
        Authors         : Andy Bierman
                          Martin Bjorklund
                          Kent Watsen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06.txt
	Pages           : 103
	Date            : 2015-06-20

Abstract:
   This document describes an HTTP-based protocol that provides a
   programmatic interface for accessing data defined in YANG, using the
   datastores defined in NETCONF.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Jernej Tuljak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:58:46 +0200

Hi,

here's some stuff I noticed while reading the draft. BTW, is there a 
list of RESTCONF server implementations to test clients against?

--
In 4.3. GET 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-4.3]:

    The client might request the response headers for a JSON
    representation of the "library" resource

the example shows the client is actually requesting and receiving 
application/yang.data+xml, not JSON (for an "album" resource).

--
The query parameter sections claim some parameters MUST be supported, 
yet 5.1 states all are optional to implement. Is there a way for a 
server to support but not implement?

4.8.1. The "content" Query Parameter 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-4.8.1]

    This query parameter MUST be supported by the server.

4.8.4.  The "insert" Query Parameter 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-4.8.4]

    The "insert" query parameter MUST be supported by the server.

4.8.5.  The "point" Query Parameter 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-4.8.5]

    The "point" query parameter MUST be supported by the server.

5.1.  Request URI Structure 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-5.1]

       All query
       parameters are optional to implement by the server and optional to
       use by the client.

--
In section 7.1. Error Response Message 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-7.1]:

    The client MAY specify the desired encoding for error messages by
    specifying the appropriate media-type in the Accept header.  If no
    error media is specified, the server MUST assume that "application/
    yang.errors+xml" was specified.  All of the examples in this
    document, except for the one below, assume the default XML encoding
    will be returned if there is an error.

yet the second example in the same section (POST), where the client does 
not specify an Accept header, is showing the client getting an 
application/yang.errors+json response.

--
In section 9. RESTCONF Monitoring 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-9]:

    Implementation is mandatory for RESTCONF
    servers, if any protocol capabilities or event notification streams
    are supported.

and then in section 9.1.2 The "defaults" Protocol Capability URI 
[https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06#section-9.1.2]:

    This protocol capability URI MUST be supported by the server, and the
    MUST be listed in the "capability" leaf-list in Section 9.3  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-05#section-9.3>.

Seem to conflict each other (also note the excess 'the' in latter).

Jernej

Dne 20.6.2015 ob 17:29 je [email-masked] zapisal(a):
> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>