Subject: [Netconf] key management YANG models in rtgwg

From: Ing-Wher Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:10:23 +0000

Hello,

The discussion of modeling of key chains came up during the presentation of
presentation of <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-server-model/>
at the netconf working group meeting on Jul. 23, 2015.  Here's a bit more background
on the topic of key management YANG models.

Currently, there are two key management YANG models being debated in rtgwg.

There is a key-table YANG model based on RFC 7210.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-rtgwg-key-table-yang/>
This key-table YANG model is based on the symmetric key table that the
KARP working group defined in RFC 7210 <http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7210/>.
This table is intended to be a generic key database, capable of supporting
different protocols.  I believe the KARP working group concluded after
publishing RFC 7210.  <http://ietf.org/wg/concluded/karp.html>

The second model proposed in rtgwg is the key-chain YANG model.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-acee-rtg-yang-key-chain/>
This key-chain model is a different view of, and in my opinion,  a subset of
the key-table YANG model above.

Both key management YANG models above only address symmetric keys,
which are not the same as the asymmetric keys described in
draft-ietf-netconf-server-model-07, Appendix A.1.
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-server-model-07#appendix-A.1>
(This is not to say that a single key management model should manage 
both symmetric and asymmetric keys, or that each type of key requires
its own key management model.)

Thanks,
Helen