Subject: [Netconf] RESTCONF #31: how to stop receiving notifications

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 17:17:15 -0800

Hi,

This is a new RESTCONF issue.
We did not invent Server-Sent Events, we just borrowed it.
The SSE spec is silent on this issue, which suggests
the transport session is simply dropped.

IMO we should not be inventing something new here.
Whatever SSE provides for this problem should be used.

Andy

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:28:15 +0900 (JST)

> Whatever SSE provides for this problem should be used.

I agree.

/martin

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:16:03 +0100

> Whatever SSE provides for this problem should be used.

Did someone talk to HTTP/2 people? Does the push mechanism of HTTP/2
provide a mechanism that can be used instead of SSE on by HTTP/2
clients/servers?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:06:33 -0800

Hi,

There has been no discussion on this issue.
The SSE spec does not specify any additional mechanisms
to stop receiving notifications but keep the connection open.

Unless there are any suggestions for extending the SSE standard,
there will not be anything added to RESTCONF to address this issue.

The SSE spec should be extended and modified via the W3C, not the NETCONF
WG.
Servers do not support any message that says 'stop receiving notifications
and now just wait on this idle connection.'  The advantage of using SSE is
lost
if NETCONF changes it.

Andy

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:51:15 +0000

Works for me.

Coincidently, I know of a GUI team that recently selected SSE for async notification.  In some slides describing their plans, the last listed (least important to them) motivating factor was because it was also used by RESTCONF.   Then, on another slide, they stated that the GUI would close the SSE connection by sending a TCP reset.  From this I take it that our doing the same would not be out of place.

Kent

From: Netconf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> on behalf of Andy Bierman <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 6:06 PM
To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] RESTCONF #31: how to stop receiving notifications

Hi,

The SSE spec should be extended and modified via the W3C, not the NETCONF WG.
Servers do not support any message that says 'stop receiving notifications
and now just wait on this idle connection.'  The advantage of using SSE is lost
if NETCONF changes it.

Andy

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Andy Bierman <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi,

Andy