Subject: [Netconf] One or three drafts?

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:21:18 -0800

I am following up on the discussion in IETF 94 on the question of whether we need one or three drafts for YANG push. One draft would mean a merge of NETCONF and RESTCONF YANG push draft, while three drafts would be a common draft, the second one for NETCONF specific part and the third for the RESTCONF specific part. There was no preference for just two drafts - one for NETCONF and one for RESTCONF with common parts either duplicated or referenced. The vote in the room seemed to indicate a tie for 1 or 3 drafts with no apparent winner.

The authors indicated a preference to keep them as separate drafts, but others in the room seemed to indicate that other drafts, like call home and zero touch are doing it as a single draft.

Can we have a discussion of whether folks would prefer to read and follow YANG push as three separate drafts or would they prefer to see them merged?

Thanks.

Mahesh & Mehmet.

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 16:14:27 +0000

---- Original Message -----
From: "Mahesh Jethanandani" <[email-masked]>
To: "NETCONF" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:21 AM

> I am following up on the discussion in IETF 94 on the question of
whether we need one or three drafts for YANG push. One draft would mean
a merge of NETCONF and RESTCONF YANG push draft, while three drafts
would be a common draft, the second one for NETCONF specific part and
the third for the RESTCONF specific part. There was no preference for
just two drafts - one for NETCONF and one for RESTCONF with common parts
either duplicated or referenced. The vote in the room seemed to indicate
a tie for 1 or 3 drafts with no apparent winner.
>
> The authors indicated a preference to keep them as separate drafts,
but others in the room seemed to indicate that other drafts, like call
home and zero touch are doing it as a single draft.
>
> Can we have a discussion of whether folks would prefer to read and
follow YANG push as three separate drafts or would they prefer to see
them merged?

I don't know, can we have a discussion:-)

Well, assuming we can, I am for a merge into one I-D.

Tom Petch