Subject: [Netconf] Protocol Action: 'RESTCONF Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 06:26:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RESTCONF Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Configuration Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf/

Technical Summary

   This draft specifies an HTTP-based protocol that provides a programmatic 
   interface for accessing data defined in YANG, using the datastores defined in 
   NETCONF. RESTCONF is a major protocol for the HTTP-based management 
   of devices. It is already well-accepted and in used in diverse industry projects. 

Working Group Summary

   NETCONF WG discussed the document (first as draft-bierman-netconf-restconf) 
   since September 2013 and issued 2 WG last calls each for 3 weeks. Diverse related 
   WGs including Core, 6tisch, 6lo, i2rs, netmod have been invited to review.
   There was detailed discussion on RESTCONF issues and some of the discussion 
   points led to controversy. So far all comments and issues have been addressed 
   and closed on Netconf Github.

Document Quality

   This document was extensively reviewed and comments were provided both 
   in IETF meetings and on the mailing list.
   The protocol RESTCONF has been implemented by diverse WG members and 
   vendors which brought in their comments and suggestions for improvement.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Mehmet Ersue. 
   The responsible AD is Benoit Claise. 
   If the document requires IANA
   experts(s), insert 'The IANA Expert(s) for the registries
   in this document:
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml#link-relations-1
   Mark Nottingham, Julian Reschke, Jan Algermissen
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/xml-registry.xhtml
   Tim Bray, Martin Thomson