Subject: [Netconf] draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-18 section 3.4.1.3

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 10:41:33 +0900

Hi Andy,

Section 3.4.1.3 or RESTCONF seems to be somewhat inconsistent with the 
current text in the other sections in "3.4.1.  Edit Collision 
Prevention".  The prior sections only refer to a timestamp or Entity tag 
for the top level datatstore resource, but the text below refers to 
updating the timestamp and entity-tag for child resources as well.

is this a valid issue, and if so then is it too late to fix this before 
publication?  Should it be raised as an erratum?

Thanks,
Rob

3.4.1.3. Update Procedure

    Changes to configuration data resources affect the timestamp and
    entity-tag for that resource, any ancestor data resources, and the
    datastore resource.

    For example, an edit to disable an interface might be done by setting
    the leaf "/interfaces/interface/enabled" to "false".  The "enabled"
    data node and its ancestors (one "interface" list instance, and the
    "interfaces" container) are considered to be changed.  The datastore
    is considered to be changed when any top-level configuration data
    node is changed (e.g., "interfaces").

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 17:54:49 -0800

Hi,

What is the concern and inconsistency with other sections?
What is the suggested correction?

If a sub-resource is altered then the resource is also considered to be
altered.
The impact on ETag ripples up to the root.

Andy

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Robert Wilton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> current text in the other sections in "3.4.1.  Edit Collision Prevention".
> The prior sections only refer to a timestamp or Entity tag for the top
> level datatstore resource, but the text below refers to updating the
> timestamp and entity-tag for child resources as well.
>

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 11:41:47 +0900

Hi Andy,

> What is the concern and inconsistency with other sections?
OK, I misread the doc a bit.

Sections 3.4.1, 3.4.1.1, 3.4.1.2 only refer to an Etag and Timestamp for 
the datastore resource, not for any child data resource, but section 
3.4.1.3 generally refers to updating resources, rather than being 
specifically about updating the Datastore resource.

> What is the suggested correction?
The existing text is OK.

Thanks,
Rob