Subject: [Netconf] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6241 (5401)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 02:17:36 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6241,
"Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5401

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Rohit R Ranade <[email-masked]>

Section: 8.9.1

Original Text
-------------
   The XPath expression MUST return a node set.  If it does not return a
   node set, the operation fails with an "invalid-value" error.

Corrected Text
--------------
   The XPath expression MUST return a node set.  If it does not return a
   node set, the operation fails with an <error-tag> value of 
   "invalid-value".

Notes
-----
It is unclear what is the meaning of "invalid-value" "error". Since the xpath will be part of "select" attribute, we can assume that a server can return a "bad-attribute" error-tag and having error-message indicating invalid-value for the attribute. This clarifies the <error-tag> to be used in such cases.
In other places, where error-tag has been mentioned, it is clear that "invalid-value" <error-tag> must be used.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6241 (draft-ietf-netconf-4741bis-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)
Publication Date    : June 2011
Author(s)           : R. Enns, Ed., M. Bjorklund, Ed., J. Schoenwaelder, Ed., A. Bierman, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network Configuration
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 12:58:20 +0200

> In other places, where error-tag has been mentioned, it is clear that "invalid-value" <error-tag> must be used.

The "invalid-value" error tag is defined in Appendix A and there are
also examples in section 4.3 showing how this error tag is used.
People who search for "invalid-value" in the RFC should likely figure
our what is meant by '"invalid-value" error'. That said, if this
deserves fixing, then it deserves fixing everywhere where this phrase
occurs and not in just a single place (I counted three occurances of
this phrase).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>