Subject: [Netconf] Reconnection strategy in ietf-netconf-server.yang

From: "Beauville, Yves (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:33:31 +0200

Hi Kent and all,

In the ietf-netconf-server.yang, the reconnection-strategy allows one to 
configure whether the server will reconnect to:

(1) the first client in the list (first-listed)

or

(2) the last client it was connected to (last-connected)

Does it make sense to support a 3rd option (next-after-last-connected) 
to let the server reconnect to the 'next' client in the list. By this, I 
mean the client following the last client it was connected to?

Here is my use case:

* I run a set of clients.

* When a client receives a call-home, it needs to accept it - open the 
NETCONF session - in order to assess whether it wants to continue 
working with that server or not.

* If not, the client releases the connection and expects the server to 
try and connect to the next client in the list

Does this make sense, or have I missed how to realize my use case with 
the proposed model?

Regards

Yves

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 15:49:45 +0000

Hi Yves,

> Does this make sense, or have I missed how to realize my use case with 

I think the question is *why* does the application want the client to 
step to the next client?  Is the answer related to load balancing? 
Would a "random-selection" be just as good?

> Yves

Kent // contributor

---

From: "Beauville, Yves (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:13:33 +0200

Hi Kent,

You are absolutely correct.

A random-selection would also work with my use-case.

Is this something we can consider to add in the netconf-server model?

Yves

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 15:05:35 +0000

Hi Yves,

> Is this something we can consider to add in the netconf-server model?

I think this is a good addition.  I've added, in my local copy, the following to the 4 modules ietf-[net|rest]conf-[client|server], for the reconnection-strategy's "starts-with" enum:

    enum random-selection {
      description
        "Indicates that reconnections should start with
         a random endpoint.";
    }

Everyone okay with this addition?

Kent // contributor

---

From: "Beauville, Yves (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 08:11:09 +0200

Hi Kent,

I definitely support this.

I find it a very useful addition.

Yves

---

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:50:14 +0000

+1, it is more flexible.

-Qin
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Netconf [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Beauville, Yves (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)
发送时间: 2018年8月22日 14:11
收件人: Kent Watsen; [email-masked]
主题: Re: [Netconf] Reconnection strategy in ietf-netconf-server.yang

Hi Kent,

Yves

> Everyone okay with this addition?

_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf