Subject: [Netconf] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-netconf-zerotouch-25: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 21:51:26 -0800

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netconf-zerotouch-25: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-zerotouch/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Section 8.1

This should be easy to fix but this text about the cardinality of the option

"Servers MUST NOT send more than one instance of the
OPTION_V4_ZEROTOUCH_REDIRECT option."

is contradictory to the following recommendation to use RFC3396 for long URLs
*which will certainly result* in multiple options being sent. I would like
personally like this to be a qualified MUST NOT (e.g. MUST NOT except for the
long URL case) but I leave it up to the authors and the sponsoring AD to figure
out the best way forward.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Please update the DHCPv6 (RFC3315) references to correspond to RFC8415
(Section 18.2 mainly for the client behavior and Section 18.3 for the server
behavior) as it has been obsoleted.

* Thanks for using the DHCPv6 option guidelines properly for the option formats
and cardinality. Greatly appreciated.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 12:37:51 +0100

Hi Suresh,

Please see inline below.

Thanks,
Ian

> On 6. Dec 2018, at 06:51, Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

[if -Suggest that the following paragraph:

Servers MUST NOT send more than one instance of the
OPTION_V4_ZEROTOUCH_REDIRECT option. 

Is replaced with this text:

---
The server’s DHCP message MUST contain only a single instance of the
OPTION_V4_ZEROTOUCH_REDIRECT’s 'bootstrap-server-list’
field. However, the list of URIs in this field may exceed the maximum allowed
length of a single DHCPv4 option (per [RFC3396]).

If the length of 'bootstrap-server-list’ is small enough to fit into a single instance
of OPTION_V4_ZEROTOUCH_REDIRECT,  the server MUST NOT send
more than one instance of this option. 

If the length of the 'bootstrap-server-list’ field is too large to fit into a single
option, then OPTION_V4_ZEROTOUCH_REDIRECT MUST be split into
multiple instances of the option according to the process described in [RFC3396].
---
]

[if - Will update]

> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:08:30 +0000

Hi Ian,
  Thanks for the quick response. These changes work for me. I will clear as soon as the new rev hits.

Regards
Suresh

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 6:37 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Hi Suresh,
> 
> Please see inline below.
> 
> Thanks,
> Ian
>