Subject: [netconf] Question about NETCONF errors

From: "Ivory, William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 13:41:49 +0000

Hi,

I've got a question about the appropriate error to return (if indeed it
is an error) in the following case.  If I have a top-level YANG
container node in my configuration that's non-presence, then there are 2
possible responses:

(a) config present, returned, no error

(b) no config present, no data returned

Is the latter an error case (eg 'unknown-element') or should that only
be returned for a node that cannot exist, rather than one that simply
doesn't exist in the current configuration?

I've looked at RFC-6241, but didn't find the error descriptions terribly
helpful.

Thanks,

William

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:37:09 +0100 (CET)

> doesn't exist in the current configuration?

Which rpc operation do you send?  I'm guessing a get or get-config
with a subtree filter that selects the container.  These operations do
not return errors if the data is not present, they simply don't return
the data.

/martin

> _______________________________________________
> netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>

---

From: "Ivory, William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:46:23 +0000

Hi Martin,

It's a get-config in this case.  Thanks for the reply - that answers my
question.

William

On 25/01/2019 12:37, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_netconf&d=DwICAg&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=p8kyeK3u4ZYiaQ2ZPGqwkyXmQgBH6r5jpYiYWzhqJ48&m=nVuDLXOBBRm7-sI3unWRAyWUbdGS3bOuH8Q--fN6Ffk&s=SnIKIDO2kgw6vJQKEJ3spTJqd8Squ2-qmp5ZAkukAyA&e=
>>