Subject: [netconf] [Errata Verified] RFC6241 (5790)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC6241,
"Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5790

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2019-07-23
Verified by: Ignas Bagdonas (IESG)

In Sections 7.8, 7.9, and 8.4.1

Original Text
-------------
OLD:

7.8.  <close-session>

   Description:  Request graceful termination of a NETCONF session.

      When a NETCONF server receives a <close-session> request, it will
      gracefully close the session.  The server will release any locks
      and resources associated with the session and gracefully close
      any associated connections.  Any NETCONF requests received after
      a <close-session> request will be ignored.

   Positive Response:  If the device was able to satisfy the request, an
      <rpc-reply> is sent that includes an <ok> element.

   Negative Response:  An <rpc-error> element is included in the
      <rpc-reply> if the request cannot be completed for any reason.

   Example:

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <close-session/>
     </rpc>

     <rpc-reply message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <ok/>
     </rpc-reply>

NEW

7.8.  <close-session>

   Description:  Request graceful termination of a NETCONF session.

      When a NETCONF server receives a <close-session> request, it will
      gracefully close the session.  The server will release any locks
      and resources associated with the session and gracefully close any
      associated connections.  Any NETCONF requests received after a
      <close-session> request will be ignored.

      For details on what happens if a NETCONF server receives a 
      <close-session> request while processing a confirmed commit,
      please refer to Section 8.4.

   Positive Response:  If the device was able to satisfy the request, an
      <rpc-reply> is sent that includes an <ok> element.

   Negative Response:  An <rpc-error> element is included in the
      <rpc-reply> if the request cannot be completed for any reason.

   Example:

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <close-session/>
     </rpc>

     <rpc-reply message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <ok/>
     </rpc-reply>

OLD

7.9.  <kill-session>

   Description:  Force the termination of a NETCONF session.

      When a NETCONF entity receives a <kill-session> request for an
      open session, it will abort any operations currently in process,
      release any locks and resources associated with the session, and
      close any associated connections.

      If a NETCONF server receives a <kill-session> request while
      processing a confirmed commit (Section 8.4), it MUST restore the
      configuration to its state before the confirmed commit was issued.

      Otherwise, the <kill-session> operation does not roll back
      configuration or other device state modifications made by the
      entity holding the lock.

   Parameters:

      session-id:  Session identifier of the NETCONF session to be
         terminated.  If this value is equal to the current session ID,
         an "invalid-value" error is returned.

   Positive Response:  If the device was able to satisfy the request, an
      <rpc-reply> is sent that includes an <ok> element.

   Negative Response:  An <rpc-error> element is included in the
      <rpc-reply> if the request cannot be completed for any reason.

   Example:

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <kill-session>
         <session-id>4</session-id>
       </kill-session>
     </rpc>

     <rpc-reply message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <ok/>
     </rpc-reply>

NEW

7.9.  <kill-session>

   Description:  Force the termination of a NETCONF session.

      When a NETCONF entity receives a <kill-session> request for an
      open session, it will abort any operations currently in process,
      release any locks and resources associated with the session, and
      close any associated connections.

      For details on what happens if a NETCONF server receives a 
      <kill-session> request while processing a confirmed commit,
      please refer to Section 8.4.

      Otherwise, the <kill-session> operation does not roll back
      configuration or other device state modifications made by the
      entity holding the lock.

   Parameters:

      session-id:  Session identifier of the NETCONF session to be
         terminated.  If this value is equal to the current session ID,
         an "invalid-value" error is returned.

   Positive Response:  If the device was able to satisfy the request, an
      <rpc-reply> is sent that includes an <ok> element.

   Negative Response:  An <rpc-error> element is included in the
      <rpc-reply> if the request cannot be completed for any reason.

   Example:

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <kill-session>
         <session-id>4</session-id>
       </kill-session>
     </rpc>

     <rpc-reply message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <ok/>
     </rpc-reply>

Section 8.4.1

OLD:

   If the device reboots for any reason before the confirm timeout
   expires, the server MUST restore the configuration to its state
   before the confirmed commit was issued.

NEW:

   If the device reboots for any reason before the confirm timeout
   expires, the server MUST restore the configuration to its state
   before the confirmed commit was issued, unless the confirmed commit 
   also included a <persist> element, in which case the server MAY
   continue the confirmed commit procedure.

Corrected Text
--------------

Notes
-----
This Errata modifies three different sections, Sections 7.8, 7.9 and 8.4.1. The changes in Section 7.8 and 7.9 defer the description of the behavior of confirmed commit to Section 8.4.1.

--------------------------------------
RFC6241 (draft-ietf-netconf-4741bis-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)
Publication Date    : June 2011
Author(s)           : R. Enns, Ed., M. Bjorklund, Ed., J. Schoenwaelder, Ed., A. Bierman, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network Configuration
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG