Subject: [netconf] [Errata Verified] RFC6241 (5388)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:34:13 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC6241,
"Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5388

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Jonathan Hansford <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2018-06-11
Verified by: Ignas Bagdonas (IESG)

Section: 8.3.4.2

Original Text
-------------
8.3.4.2.  <discard-changes>

   If the client decides that the candidate configuration is not to be
   committed, the <discard-changes> operation can be used to revert the
   candidate configuration to the current running configuration.

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <discard-changes/>
     </rpc>

   This operation discards any uncommitted changes by resetting the
   candidate configuration with the content of the running
   configuration.

Corrected Text
--------------
8.3.4.2.  <discard-changes>

   Description:

         If the client decides that the candidate configuration is not
         to be committed, the <discard-changes> operation can be used to
         revert the candidate configuration to the current running
         configuration.

         This operation discards any uncommitted changes by resetting
         the candidate configuration with the content of the running
         configuration.

   Positive Response:

         If the device was able to satisfy the request, an <rpc-reply>
         is sent that contains an <ok> element.

   Negative Response:

         An <rpc-error> element is included in the <rpc-reply> if the
         request cannot be completed for any reason.

   Example:

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <discard-changes/>
     </rpc>

     <rpc-reply message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <ok/>
     </rpc-reply>

Notes
-----
RFC 6241 section 1.1 includes the following two definitions:

   o  protocol operation: A specific remote procedure call, as used
      within the NETCONF protocol.

   o  remote procedure call (RPC): Realized by exchanging <rpc> and
      <rpc-reply> messages.

Positive and negative responses are detailed for all instances of an operation within the RFC with the exception of <discard-changes>.

Section 8.3.4.2 identifies <discard-changes> as an operation, and appendices A and C identify "rollback-failed" as an error-tag to be used when the "Request to roll back some configuration change (via rollback-on-error or <discard-changes> operations) was not completed for some reason."

This change clarifies that <discard-changes> requires an <rpc-reply>.

--------------------------------------
RFC6241 (draft-ietf-netconf-4741bis-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)
Publication Date    : June 2011
Author(s)           : R. Enns, Ed., M. Bjorklund, Ed., J. Schoenwaelder, Ed., A. Bierman, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network Configuration
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG