Subject: [netconf] <get-data> operation with "table join" capability

From: Xufeng Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 08:23:49 -0400

During the modeling discussion within TEAS WG, we encountered the dilemma
between more compact (with less or no redundant information) YANG structure
and less <get-data> operations. We are wondering if it is reasonable to
request NETCONF/YANG to support <get-data> operations with "table join"
capability that is equivalent to the SQL "JOIN" statement.

The issue is reported as the last section in
https://github.com/tsaad-dev/te/issues/98.

The desired capability is:

When a leafref or multiple leafrefs reference one or more objects specified
in other parts of the schema, the operator can use a single <get-data>
operation to retrieve all attributes of the object containing the leafref
and the attributes referenced by the leafref statement.

Thanks,
- Xufeng

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 13:36:24 +0000

[moving 'netmod' to BCC since this question has no modeling impact]

> When a leafref or multiple leafrefs reference one or more objects specified in other parts of the schema, the operator can use a single <get-data> operation to retrieve all attributes of the object containing the leafref and the attributes referenced by the leafref statement.

The motivation is clear.

A solution would likely entail returning a multi-part response, perhaps a single tree for NETCONF.   Note that the resolutions may themselves include leafrefs, a full-response may be N levels deep.   

K.