Subject: [netconf] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC8040 (6215)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 07:12:01 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8040,
"RESTCONF Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6215

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.3

Original Text
-------------
   If a retrieval request for a data resource representing a YANG
   leaf-list or list object identifies more than one instance and XML
   encoding is used in the response, then an error response containing a
   "400 Bad Request" status-line MUST be returned by the server.  The
   error-tag value "invalid-value" is used in this case.  Note that a
   non-configuration list is not required to define any keys.  In this
   case, the retrieval of a single list instance is not possible.

Corrected Text
--------------

Notes
-----
This whole paragraph should be removed because, according to Section 3.5 (Data Resource), the "list" and "leaf-leaf" themselves are not a data resources:

   A data resource represents a YANG data node that is a descendant node
   of a datastore resource.  Each YANG-defined data node can be uniquely
   targeted by the request-line of an HTTP method.  Containers, leafs,
   leaf-list entries, list entries, anydata nodes, and anyxml nodes are
   data resources.

No GET, PUT, POST, DELETE, or PATCH example in the RFC illustrates an operation on a "list" or "leaf-list" directly (i.e., without a key, which would then represent an element of the list or leaf-list).

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC8040 (draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-18)
--------------------------------------
Title               : RESTCONF Protocol
Publication Date    : January 2017
Author(s)           : A. Bierman, M. Bjorklund, K. Watsen
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network Configuration
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG