Subject: [netconf] Adoption-suitability for draft-tao-netconf-notif-node-tag-capabilities

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 22:17:44 +0000

NETCONF WG,

Per the previous email sent moments ago, the chairs would like to solicit input on the following draft:

   Title: Self-explanation data Node tag capability
   Link: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tao-netconf-notif-node-tag-capabilities
   Abstract:

      Before a client application subscribes to updates from a datastore,
      server capabilities related to "Subscription to YANG Datastores" can
      be advertised using YANG Instance Data format.  These server
      capabilities can be documented at implement time or reported at run-
      time.

      This document proposes a YANG module for self-explanation data Node
      tag capability which augments system capabilities model and provide
      additional self-explanation data node attributes associated with node
      selectors within per-node capabilities.

In particular, please discuss adoption-suitability as it regards to the following questions:

    1) is the problem important for the NETCONF WG to solve?
    2) is the draft a suitable basis for the work?

PS: this message is itself not an adoption poll, but rather an attempt to gauge interest/support for a potential future adoption poll.

NETCONF Chairs

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:39:19 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to understand the problem statement in this draft.
It seems to be a way to assign various tags to data node objects.
It uses the tags type from ietf-module-tags, which implies that modules and
nodes
share the same set of tags.

There is also an assumption that the error/hints mechanism in RFC 8639 and
8641
do not work and this significant amount of proposed metadata could be used
to avoid
receiving an <rpc-error> for an <establish-subscription> or <edit-config>
request.

IMO the current approach is sufficient and new mechanisms are not needed.

Andy

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Kent Watsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

>    Link: https://tools.ietf.org/html/
> draft-tao-netconf-notif-node-tag-capabilities
>    Abstract:
>
> PS: this message is itself not an adoption poll, but rather an attempt to
> gauge interest/support for a potential future adoption poll.
>
> NETCONF Chairs
> _______________________________________________
> netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>