Subject: Re: [netext] second revision of the new charter for theworking group

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:25:20 +0200

Carlos,

> Well, I partially agree with this. Your laptop works OK with that
> configuration, but if in addition to the USB stick you add a wifi
> connection, then your laptop may not work just fine without assuming
> something else.

I think this is still fine -- most operating systems can deal with this 
situation, even if they use a very simple solution (such as employing 
just one of the many available interfaces).

> Besides, if you want to benefit from sending http
> traffic through one interface (e.g. wifi) and voip traffic through
> another one (e.g. cellular), then you need something else (some
> support/configuration at the laptop). If we want to enable flow mobility
> in nodes with multiple interfaces in a PMIP domain, we may need to
> assume that the mobile node is at least capable of doing some things
>   

Yes, of course. Additional, better functionality needs new code. I think 
that's generally speaking fine, as long as (a) these additional things 
do not break connectivity for devices that do not have this new code, as 
might be the case for a majority of devices and (b) there's sufficient 
motivation to make the code changes.

Jari