Subject: [netmod] ipv4-prefix / ipv6-prefix normalization

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:14:26 +0100

Description: The two representations 192.0.2.0/24 and 192.0.2.8/24
mean the same thing.

Discussion: Proposal:

    * Require that all bits that are not part of the prefix are set to
      zero (192.0.2.8/24 becomes an invalid representation of an IPv4
      prefix)
    * For IPv6, the shortened form will be the canonical format, other
      representations are allowed
    * Results in a 1:1 mapping between lexical representation and the
      value space for IPv4 but not for IPv6

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod