Subject: [netmod] ipv6 addressnormalization ¶

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:13:52 +0100

Description: The type currently supports full, shortened,mixed, and
shortened mixed formats.

Discussion: Proposal:

    * Allow multiple formats and representations
    * Make the shortened format the canonical format
    * The :: substitution must be applied to the longest sequence of
      zeros in an IPv6 address (if there is a tie, the first sequence
      of zeros is replaced by ::)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:12:04 +0100

>       of zeros is replaced by ::)

"Sequence of zeros"... I would prefer "sequence of all-zero 16-bit
chunks", as that is clearer (if more verbose).

I.e. you cannot compress

  2000:1:2:3:4:5:6:7 => 2::1:2:3:4:5:6:7

I would also add that the :: subsitution should only be applied to
sequences of two or more all-zero chunks, i.e. you shouldn't compress

  2000:0:2:3:4:5:6:7 => 2000::2:3:4:5:6:7

This is a matter of taste and convention.  The existing inet_ntop()
code that I checked doesn't compress a single zero.
-- 
Simon.
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod