Subject: [netmod] FW: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-usage-10

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:03:43 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:58 PM
To: [email-masked]; Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Cc: Ari Keränen
Subject: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-usage-10

My colleague Ari had a question about this draft:

----

4.6. Lifecycle Management

    If submodules are used, then the document containing the main module
    MUST be updated so that the main module revision date is equal or
    more recent than the revision date of any submodule which is
    (directly or indirectly) included by the main module.

Does this mean that if all the documents are RFCs and a submodule document is updated by a new RFC, also the main module RFC needs to be bis'ed even if there are no changes?

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:13:37 +0200

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 04:03:43PM +0200, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> Cc: Ari Ker?nen

That is what I think the text says. This, of course, is not
practical. However, a main module just consisting of includes could
perhaps reasonably given to IANA and than IANA would maintain the
includes and the revision log, pretty much like they do for the
interface type MIB module.

That said, the usage of submodules in the IETF space is something we
have to get experience with. They might be a nice tool to keep the
namespaces clean and mean but we just have not yet much operational
experience with this approach yet.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:39:32 -0700

> experience with this approach yet.

Submodules are not practical for the IETF to use.
This has been understood (by me anyway) from the start.

If the main module needs an 'include-stmt' added,
then it needs to be republished in a new RFC.  Period.
Conformance in the IETF and this industry is based on RFC numbers,
not revision dates buried within some code component.

Whether additional online resources exist is another matter.

> /js

Andy