Subject: Re: [netmod] Network-wide Configuration - TM Forum View

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:10:21 +0200

Hi All,

the conference call on "Network-wide Configuration - TM Forum View" was
on September 8, 2010 18:00 CET. Please find attached the slides of the
session.

The call has been started by Nigel Davis (Ciena). Other meeting
attendees were: Carl Moberg, Mehmet Ersue, Lada Lothka, Mark Scott, Phil
Shafer.

PS: Nigel Davis volunteered to provide a repeating session if there is a
request.

Short minutes:

Nigel Davis gave an overview on Information Modelling with a brief
sketch of organisation and processes at TMF.

Nigel highlighted the positioning of the TMF interfaces (MTNM and MTOSI)
on a simple picture of the management systems and network devices and
emphasised that the TMF interfaces apply above the EMS.

The remainder of the presentation focused on the approach to Information
modelling, an overview of the TMF information model (Information
Framework aka SID) and a more detailed view of the Resource Management
model covering mainly the Logical Resource model. 

Nigel noted that the Logical Resource model was described in Addendum
5LR of the SID. TM Forum members can access the key details of the
Information Framework suite from 
http://www.tmforum.org/Guidebooks/GB922InformationFramework/41885/articl
e.html
<http://www.tmforum.org/Guidebooks/GB922InformationFramework/41885/artic
le.html>  and can get a more general overview from 
http://www.tmforum.org/InformationFramework/1684/home.html
<http://www.tmforum.org/InformationFramework/1684/home.html> .

Nigel noted that currently there were several interrelated views of the
Logical Resource model (covering connectionless and connection oriented
networking) in the SID and that there is work underway to rationalise
these views. Nigel noted that the existing models were quite appropriate
for today's problem space.

Nigel gave a brief explanation of the application of the Information
Model to the TMF Interface Program tooling.

There was a discussion on the interface between EMS-NE, which is mainly
vendor specific.

Phil indicated that he had several detailed questions related to the
presentation and asked where any necessary follow-up discussion can be
done. 

Mehmet proposed to send the conference call notes and subsequent
questions on the topic of the presentation (if NETMOD chairs agree) to
the NETMOD ML as we can assume the questions have a relevance for future
YANG modelling.

It might be interesting to have a discussion on how to join future
models from IETF with the TMF model.

It has been noted that TM Forum members have experience of merging
models and a set of approaches for this that may assist the discussions.

Mehmet

> -----Original Message-----

> From: ext Davis, Nigel [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:26 AM

> To: Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich); ext Andy Bierman; Phil Shafer;
ext

> Martin Bjorklund; ext Bert (IETF) Wijnen; [email-masked];
Linowski,

> Bernd (EXT-Other - DE); Kessens, David (NSN - US/Mountain View);

> Juergen Schoenwaelder; ext Ladislav Lhotka

> Cc: [email-masked]; NETMOD Working Group

> Subject: RE: Network-wide Configuration - TM Forum View

> Hi all,

> As per Mehmet's email below and subsequent follow-up offering

> alternative dates (Doodle http://www.doodle.com/piexidce9kctgctz) I
now

> plan to hold a session on the TMF network model work on Wednesday 8

> September at 12:00 EDT (see

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=08&month=09&ye

> ar=2010&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0 for conversions). I will be sending

> bridge/webmeeting details shortly.

> I will use the following agenda:

> - Level set on purpose of meeting with respect to the bar BoF

> discussion

> - Briefly discuss NE-Mediation-EMS approach to dealing with

> normalisation

> - Examine the TMF network model and documentation structure/locations

> - Discuss next step, possible liaison and ongoing work approach

> Thanks

> Nigel

> Nigel Davis | Architect

> [email-masked] | 43-51 Worship Street. | London EC2A 2DX | United

> Kingdom

> Desk                  +44 1628 433968

> Mobile       +44 7740 670288

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich) [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Sent: 12 August 2010 19:19

> To: ext Andy Bierman; Phil Shafer; ext Martin Bjorklund; ext Bert

> (IETF) Wijnen; [email-masked]; Linowski, Bernd (EXT-Other - DE);

> Kessens, David (NSN - US/Mountain View); Juergen Schoenwaelder; ext

> Ladislav Lhotka; Davis, Nigel

> Cc: [email-masked]; NETMOD Working Group

> Subject: Network-wide Configuration - TM Forum View

> Hi All,

> as discussed in the Network-wide configuration BarBof in Maastricht

> Nigel Davis from TM Forum volunteered to give us an overview on the
TMF

> network model, NE-Mediation- EMS as well as the modeling and tooling

> framework at TMF.

> Following is a draft agenda:

> - Level set on purpose of meeting with respect to the bar BoF

> discussion

> - Briefly discuss NE-Mediation-EMS approach to dealing with

> normalisation

> - Examine the TMF network model and documentation structure/locations

> - Discuss next step, possible liaison and ongoing work approach

> Please let Nigel know if you would like to have additional agenda

> points.

> The proposed date for a conf call (1.5 hours) is next Thursday (8/19)

> or Friday (8/20). Please check the doodle below and enter your

> preferred time.

> http://www.doodle.com/4gq3niupbev3vg6m

> PS: We hope 8/19 or 8/20 does work for a conf call.

> If not we can arrange another date.

> Cheers,

> Mehmet