Subject: [netmod] AD review of draft-linowski-netmod-yang-abstract-04

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:34:10 +0100

I have reviewed draft-linowski-netmod-yang-abstract-04. I think that
this document is in good shape and I will proceed to sending it to IETF
Last Call. Please consider the comments below together with other IETF
Last Call comments. 

The comments are marked with T for Technical and E for Editorial. 

T1. As the intended status is Experimental, I believe that it would be
useful to add in the introduction some text that describes the purpose
of the experiment, and the fact that the language extensions described
in this document may become (if the experimental usage succeeds) either
a proposed standard or part of a future version of NETCONF. 

T2. section 2.10 -  I do not understand the concept of equimentHolder -
is it the same as the vendor or manufacturer of a physical entity? Why
is it called differently? 

T3. In the example in section 3.3 

<serialNumeber>F-7786828</serialNumber>

What does a serial number mean for a physical link? 

T4. In the IANA considerations section: 

> Registrant Contact: The NETMOD WG of the IETF.

This is not a WG document. Did the WG formally agree to take upon this
role? 

E1. idnits complains:

 == Unused Reference: 'RFC5226' is defined on line 1364, but no explicit
reference was found in the text

E2. It would be good to mention explicitly relative to what are referred
the 'improvements' described in section 1.3

E3. I suggest that you reorder appendices and make the change log the
last one - paying attention to make changes in the places where the
other appendices are referred in the text. As the change log will be
taken out of the final version (I assume) this can avoid complications. 

E4. Section 1.5.1: 

>    It is
      important to notice that this kind of relationships do not mandate
      any particular location of the two connected hardware instances in
      any MIB.  

Clarify what 'MIB' means here - MIB module, instance of MIB module? 

E5. T3. In the example in section 3.3 

<serialNumeber>F-7786828</serialNumber>

s/serialNumeber/serial/Number/

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:34:19 +0100

Hi Dan,

please find below our attempt to fix the issues you raised.

Mehmet

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:34 AM
> To: [email-masked]; Ersue, Mehmet (NSN -
> DE/Munich); [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: AD review of draft-linowski-netmod-yang-abstract-04
> 

We agree, we should add a sentence into the introduction section 
stating, e.g.: 
"After successful usage this experimental specification can be
republished 
at IETF either as a proposed standard or as part of a future version of
YANG."
 
> is it called differently?

The idea of making a distinction between "Equipment" and
"EquipmentHolders"
was taken over from SID. To my understanding, an equipment holder is
a piece of equipment with the primary purpose of containing other
equipment.
The description in SID V8 says:
"This class is based on the M.3100 specification, and is a base class
that represents physical objects
that are both manageable as well as able to host, hold, or contain other
physical objects.
Examples of physical objects that can be represented by instances of
this object class 
are Racks, Chassis, Cards, and Slots."
 
> What does a serial number mean for a physical link?

"serial number" could be the part number of a fiber link cable. 
The SID describes serial number as "manufacturer-allocated part number",
so
in some cases this might also apply to physical links.
 
> This is not a WG document. Did the WG formally agree to take upon this

We will note the document authors as Registrant Contact.
 
> reference was found in the text

The reference will be deleted.
 
> the 'improvements' described in section 1.3

We will note in section 1.3 that the improvements are compared to 
languages without language abstractions.
 
> taken out of the final version (I assume) this can avoid
complications.

OK.
 
> Clarify what 'MIB' means here - MIB module, instance of MIB module?

It was meant to be the instances of a MIB module.
 
> s/serialNumeber/serial/Number/

Thanks for the hint.