Subject: [netmod] Comments on draft-bjorklund-netmod-interfaces-cfg-00

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:38:05 -0800

Hi,

   -  I like the augment-by-if:type design.

   -  This is a good enough starting point for the WG draft

   - an example of the interface list is needed;

   - the relationship between name and location is not clear
     to implementors; what info goes in what field?

   - An oper-status config=false leaf needs to be included.
     This should be an identityref, like if:type.
     Some basic oper-states should be defined here.
     A module augmenting the interface list should add
     its own oper-status identities as needed.

   - the SNMP coupling is not really explained anywhere;
     the specific conformance macro should be specified.
     e.g, is ifAdminStatus == admin-status; How can just 1 leaf out of the
     ifEntry be shared?  Clearly there is more overlap than 1 leaf.

   - I don't understand why if-index is a leaf-list.
     Why would a NETCONF interface show up as multiple SNMP interfaces?
     This raises IF-MIB divergence issues.

   - what about the ifStackTable? There is no example in the draft that shows
     the ifStackTable information for the interface list entries

   - what about ifUp and ifDown notifications?
     provisioning and other NETCONF app business logic may be interested
     in these events in order to adjust the config

   - what about a standard knob to request persistent if-index values?
     (uh-oh; that's not config true or false; doesn't fit the NETCONF model!
     Ignore it!)

Andy