Subject: [netmod] interfaces

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:58:05 +0100

Hi,

Martin's ID <draft-bjorklund-netmod-interfaces-cfg-00.txt> assumes
that interface type specific modules introduce a mechanism to layer a
logical interface on some other interface. The bonding example
introduces a slave-if list (with additional constraints). The vlan
example introduces a base-interface leaf (with additional
constraints). I am wondering whether the layering mechanism, that is
how I identify the underlying interface(s), should not be a generic
interface feature. As it is now, it is not possible to generically
analyze/display the interface layering since for each logical
interface type things are done in a different way.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:05:44 +0100

> interface type things are done in a different way.

It would make sense to use the same referring leaf if the relationship between the adjacent layers is identical so that, for instance, an IP interface could have a "link-interface" leaf that can point to an Ethernet, VLAN, PPP or any other interface. For the bonding and VLAN cases, the function of the underlying interfaces substantially differs, so I would keep different names.

Lada

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C