Subject: [netmod] LL review of draft-ietf-netmod-ip-10

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:21:57 +0200

Hi,

I read the draft and performed various tests and validity checks with the module. Both seem to be in a good shape.

The requirement on splitting configuration and state data has been adequately addressed, and I think it is a significant improvement compared to the previous revision.

I have three minor comments:

    1. BSD-based Unix systems print IPv6 link-local addresses with
       explicit zone indices in the output of "ifconfig". Although it
       seems redundant there, this module could perhaps enable
       optional zone indices with IP addresses in the interfaces-state
       tree (not in config!) by changing the type of the "ip" leaf to
       inet:ipv[46]-address.
    2. More enums might be needed in the "ip-address-origin" data
       type. For instance, an address prefix can be obtained from an
       IPv6 tunnel broker. Hopefully it will be possible to update
       this data type in a timely manner, or otherwise identities
       might be a better option.
    3. The example in Appendix A should also show the link-local
       address of the "eth0" interface in state data.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:44:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I read the draft and performed various tests and validity checks with
> the module. Both seem to be in a good shape.
> 
> The requirement on splitting configuration and state data has been
> adequately addressed, and I think it is a significant improvement
> compared to the previous revision.
> 

It seems to me that this would be redundant, and if the purpose is to
learn which zones exist and how they are mapped to interfaces, this is
probably not the right place to do that.

>        might be a better option.

Currently, such an address would have an origin of 'other' (just like
in the MIB).  If more enums are needed they can be added, but they
need to be implementable...

>        address of the "eth0" interface in state data.

Ok, I will add that!

/martin