Subject: [netmod] Open Errata 5517 RFC 7950 https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5517

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 09:53:39 -0700

Reported By: Rohit R Ranade

Section 10.4.2 says:

   The derived-from-or-self() function returns "true" if any node in the
   argument "nodes" is a node of type "identityref" and its value is an
   identity that is equal to or derived from (see Section 7.18.2) the
   identity "identity"; otherwise, it returns "false".

It should say:

 The derived-from-or-self() function returns "true" if any node in the
 argument "nodes" is a node of type equal to or derived 
 from "identityref" and its value is an identity that is equal to or
 derived from (see Section 7.18.2) the identity "identity"; 
 otherwise, it returns "false".

Martin Bjorklund wrote

I agree that the text needs clarification.  However, I propose this
text instead:

 The derived-from-or-self() function returns "true" if any node in the
 argument "nodes" is a node of type "identityref" or a type derived
 from "identityref", and its value is an identity that is equal to or
 derived from (see Section 7.18.2) the identity "identity"; 
 otherwise, it returns "false".

Ladislav Lhotka wrote

This formulation is better.

It is somewhat confusing that "derived from" has two unrelated meanings in the
same sentence.

This errata is processed as accepted,  the errata clarifies that the function returns true from the case where "a node is of a type derived
 from "identityref"" in addition to the case where the node is of type indetityref. this is a clarification and can we believe be read properly in conjunction with the existing RFC.

Thanks
Joel