Subject: [netmod] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 22:48:14 -0700

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[[ questions ]]

[ section 2.1 ]

* Is WGS-84 still the default for geodetic-datum when
  astronomical-body != "earth"?

  I think I might find it surprising if it were (i.e. if
  astronomical-body="enceladus" and geodetic-datum still defaults to "wgs-84"
  as opposed to an unspecified value or something that might cause a useful
  error message to be generated).

  I don't know enough YANG to know if the "when" statement is usable in this
  case to constrain the applicability of this default or not.

[[ nits ]]

[ section 3 ]

* In the description of "leaf astronomical-body",
  '67p/churyumov-gerasimenko lacks a closing quotation mark.

---

From: Christian Hopps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 22:27:43 -0400

This is very interesting question. I do not believe there are multiple defaults allowed. I have actually run into this in other YANG modules where it would be nice to have conditional defaults.

I think the only thing we can do is either have no default which seems sub-optimal given +99% of the use cases will be "earth", or make a note in the description that the default should be overridden by explicitly setting, when the astronomical body is != earth.

Thanks,
Chris.

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod