Subject: [netmod] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 02:20:25 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated), and one nit.

Thank you to Ken Watsen for his shepherd's write-up (including the WG
consensus). Nice to have acknowledged him.

Note: I loved the "any other astronomical object" in the abstract ;-) and, for
a while, I have believed that I was read an April 1st RFC...

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 1 --
As written above, I like that this document does not limit itself to the Earth.
May I suggest to add the ISS to the list ? If ISS is not considered as an
astronomical body, then I really question the usefulness of this document.

-- Section 2.2 --
Just wondering whether latitude/longitude exist for all 'astronomical bodies'
(magnetic field ? rotation on a single axe) ? I guess that it depends on the
datum (just curious -- no need to reply).

-- Section 2.6 --
In the tree view, longitude/latitude/height have the same cardinality but
section 2.2 states that height is optional.

-- Section 3 --
Any reason why the 'astronomical-body' is restricted to ASCII and not UETF-8 ?

Should the latitude/longitude leaves have ranges ? I.e., -90 +90 for latitude ?

== NITS ==

-- Appendix B --
Unusual location for the acknowledgements and it would have been nice to also
acknowledge the doc shepherd.