Subject: [Netslices] Fwd: [5gangip] 5G IP PS DRAFT for July BoF

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 14:12:16 +0100

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[5gangip] 5G IP PS DRAFT for July BoF
Date: 	Tue, 2 May 2017 14:34:14 +0000
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Dear all

A handful of co-authors have prepared a Problem Statement (PS) type of 
draft for our planned BoF on “Internet Protocols for 5G” (5GIP) 
explaining the need for technology agnostic interfacing of 5G access and 
core control plane via new IP Access Mobility and Session Management 
Protocols. There we argue that the draft approaches in ILA and MAMS on 
which we have already been working in 5gangip may serve as solution 
space upon which to develop such protocols for the upcoming 5G system 
(choosing 3GPP Rel. 15 architecture and concept as exemplary reference).

BoF deadline for July meeting is 2017-06-02 (Friday) - i.e. month from 
now, therefore we plan to publish the 00 version today.

For the draft charter proposal we currently see following issues/needs:

- addressing next generation system architecture of modular 
technology-agnostic network functionalities to flexibly build logical 
network slices enabling efficient provision of end-to-end services via 
heterogeneous technologies

- drafting protocols allowing for true integration and convergence of 
multiple heterogeneous access technologies (including their concurrent 
use as e.g. in multi-path) and current technology specific control plane 
entities

- serving and complementing worldwide research and standardisation 
activity of such 5G networks is under way e.g. at 3GPP, BBF, IEEE, ITU-T …

- specifying set of protocols to enable (basic) connectivity (including 
optional mobility support) and session set up which are as much as 
possible abstracted from technology specifics.

- improving efficiency by reducing overhead in terms of current 
InterWorking GateWays (IWGWs), OVerHead (OVH) due to Tunneling and 
multiple encapsulation, complex mapping mechanisms

  We will come back soon with the question for support in terms of 
review, commitment to work on BoF preparation and attending / supporting 
in Prague (and potentially invite/propose further people).

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards
Behcet and Dirk