Subject: [Netslices] netslicing/netslices: Potential next steps

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:31:56 +0200

Dear all,

Thanks for all who contributed to the netslicing BoF: the document 
authors, the presenters, the participants, and the chairs. During this 
week, next to BoF itself, I've had multiple opportunities to speak about 
netslicing, with some BoF proponents, with the IAB shepherds, and with 
the IESG/IAB on Friday afternoon, etc. This helped me understanding the 
different points of views and clarified some aspects.

It's true that the network slicing has got a specific meaning in the 
context of 5G, but, as Georg (as liaison) stressed: there are no 3GPP 
requirements for the IETF at this point in time. Nevertheless, there are 
parts that the IETF should look at. And there are parts of the network 
slicing concept that are already being worked on at the IETF. ACTN comes 
to mind, but also DETNET, and I heard of VPN+. The individual work in 
WGs should continue and potentially be extended.

Note that I carefully used the "network slicing concept" term in the 
previous sentence. As one important next step, it would nice to focus on 
a common "network slicing" definition, at least its meaning for the IETF.

As mentioned during the BoF, this is not the IETF role to define a 
complete orchestrator, controller, or NMS/OSS. This should be developed 
by an opensource project. However, what would be a practical next step 
is to specify a kind of network slicing template, with the envisioned 
required parameters. From there, we could determine what's missing when 
we try to map it to a specific (IETF) technologies.

Let me make up an (hopefully simple) example: I would like to have a 
network slice with a guaranteed bandwidth b, end-to-end jitter j, packet 
loss p, end-to-end max delay d. Do we even those abilities in the 
underlying technologies?

Regards, Benoit (as the BoF responsible AD)

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:47:43 -0700

Benoit,

Thanks for sharing.
As discussed – we will continue working towards narrowed down and realistic set of requirements towards IETF, that should guide all the great work happening across different area’s/wg’s.

>From IAB that would be Jari and myself.

Cheers,
Jeff (as the BoF IAB shepherd)

-----Original Message-----
From: Netslices <[email-masked]> on behalf of Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 10:32
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Netslices] netslicing/netslices: Potential next steps

    Dear all,

    

    

    _______________________________________________
    Netslices mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netslices

---

From: Sheng Jiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 01:59:45 +0000

Benoit & Jeff,

Thanks for your clear advices and instructions, which we will follow. For me, a unified slice template/object and its management are modest work for IETF to start work. My team is working on such design and correspondent implementation. The implementation is also including orchestration algorithms and mapping the unified slice template/object to one/multiple specific network infrastructures, for which VPN, Virtual router, Detnet, ACTN, and other new technologies are in our consideration. We are planning a demonstration on this for IETF 100 Bits-N-Bites, too.

Many thanks and best regards,

Sheng

> From: Netslices [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeff Tantsura
> Sent: Friday, July 28, 2017 1:48 AM
> To: Benoit Claise; [email-masked]; Jari Arkko
> Cc: IAB
> Subject: Re: [Netslices] netslicing/netslices: Potential next steps
> 
> Benoit,
> 
> Thanks for sharing.
> As discussed – we will continue working towards narrowed down and realistic
> set of requirements towards IETF, that should guide all the great work
> happening across different area’s/wg’s.
>

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 20:51:29 +0000

Sheng,

Great, thanks for the update.
Would be great if you'd bring your work to IETF at a rather early stage,
otherwise there could be a rather large gap, between what we will be doing
in IETF vs your team's work. Also think about collaboration with all the
efforts you have mentioned above and how to build on top (API's, data
models) rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
IAB/IESG will continuously direct the overall effort.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Thanks,
Jeff
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 19:00 Sheng Jiang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Benoit & Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your clear advices and instructions, which we will follow. For
> me, a unified slice template/object and its management are modest work for
> IETF to start work. My team is working on such design and correspondent
> implementation. The implementation is also including orchestration
> algorithms and mapping the unified slice template/object to one/multiple
> specific network infrastructures, for which VPN, Virtual router, Detnet,
> ACTN, and other new technologies are in our consideration. We are planning
> a demonstration on this for IETF 100 Bits-N-Bites, too.
>