Subject: [Netslices] Input for problem statement

From: "De Foy, Xavier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 20:21:07 +0000

Hi Liang,

   This is to follow-up our conversation at IETF 100 about draft-geng-coms-problem-statement, and share on the list. The goal would be to make a recursive use of the same (COMS) model, from top to bottom.

  A secondary point would be to align our use of the terms "slice segment" and "slice subnet" across drafts. Since "subnet" is defined by NGMN it could be simpler to use that term, as long as our definition is compatible with NGMN. There is a definition in the interconnection draft.

  Please consider the following figure as input for an update to figure 2: e.g. "cross-segment" could become "end-to-end", "segment-specific" could become "technology specific", etc.

  One additional thing we could consider is using a single term "manager" or "controller". This would be better aligned with the recursive nature of COMS (e.g. an e2e slice manager may be used to manager/control a slice subnet for a larger slice).

  NSaaS and       +------------------------------------------+
  End-to-end      |   Network Slice Tenant                   |
  Network         +-+----------------------------------------+
  Slice             |   Requests a NSaaS Service
  Management        |
      ^           +-v----------------------------------------+
      |           | Network Slice Service Provider           |
      |           +-+----------------------------------------+
      |             |  Generates an end-to-end Slice Model
      |             |
      |           +-v----------------------------------------+   ^
      |           | E2e slice manager (COMS model)           |   |
      |           +-+----------------------------------------+   | NS
      |             | Decomposed by End-to-end                   | Layer
      |             |                    Network Slice Manager   |
      |           +-v----------------------------------------+   |
      ------------|Slice controllers (COMS model for subnets)|   |
      |           | (may include multiple controllers)       |   |
      v           +----+---------------+---------------+-----+   v
Tech-specific         |               |               |
Network Slice         |               |               |
Management     +------v------+ +------v------+ +------v------+
and            | Network     | | Network     | | Network     |
Implementation |Configuration| |Configuration| |Configuration|
                |  Model I    | |  Model II   | |  Model III  |
                +-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+

And to match it, here is some input for figure 1:

+----------------------------------------------------------+
|                 Network Slice as a Service               |
| +-------------------------------------+ +--------------+ |
| |     Network Slice Template          | |              | |
| | +---------+ +---------+ +---------+ | | Customized   | |
| | |   5G    | | Internet| |Verticals| | | Network Slice| |
| | | centric | |   VPN   | |Industry | | |              | |
| | +---------+ +---------+ +---------+ | |              | |
| +-------------------------------------+ +----+---------+ |
|                 |                            |           |
|                 |                            |           |
|          +------v----------------------------v----+      |
|          | Network Slice Service Profile          |      |
|          +----------------+-----------------------+      |
|                           |                              |
+----------------------------------------------------------+
                            |
                  +---------v----------+
                  |   End-to-end       |
     +------------+   Slice Manager    +--------------+
     |            +---------+----------+              |
     |                      |                         |
     |                      |                         |
+----v----+  +--------------v-----------------+ +-----v----+
|  RAN    |  | Network Slice Controller       | |  CN      |
|  Slice  |  |                                | |  Slice   |
|  Ctrlr  |  +--------+----------+---------+-++ |  Ctrlr   |
+---------+  |        |          |         | |  +----------+
         +---+        |          |         | +----------+
         |            |          |         |            |
  +------+-----+ +----+----+ +---+----+ +--+--------+ +-+--------+
  |Connectivity| |Computing| | Storage| |Generalized| | Nw Slice |
  |            | |         | |        | |Functions  | | Ctrlr    |
  +------------+ +---------+ +--------+ +-----------+ +----------+

  Best Regards,

Xavier.