Subject: Re: [nmrg] 4th NMRG meeting in Zurich
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:41:54 +0200

Here is my summary where we are so far. The following people will be
in Zurich:

  Luca Deri
  Jean-Philippe Martin-Flatin
  Aiko Pras
  Juergen Schoenwaelder
  Ron Sprenkels
  Frank Strauss
  Bert Wijnen (only Friday, not 100% sure yet)

I have updated the meeting web page with additional information:
<URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/1999/zurich/>

I propose to use the following agenda:

Thursday:
  + agenda bashing
  + any remaining bulk transfer issues (including Dave's MIB fragment)
  + web-based management (not sure what Jean-Philippe has in mind)
  + general high-level policy issues

Friday:
  + SMIng discussion
  + policy provisioning issues (the COPS/PIB versus SNMP/MIB debate)
  + wrap up and action items

I expect that we have revised documents for bulk transfer and SMIng
before the meeting. There is also a paper on SMIng which Frank will
present at DSOM. You can find a preview version from our Web server
<URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/papers/dsom-99.ps.gz>. For
the COPS/PIB versus SNMP/MIB debate, I suggest to make yourself
familiar with COPS, COPS-PR and PIBs. The relevant IDs are:

    draft-ietf-rap-cops-07.txt.gz
    draft-ietf-rap-cops-pr-00.txt.gz
    draft-mfine-cops-pib-01.txt.gz

Overview information about the high-level policy work can be found
in the following IDs:

    draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt
    draft-ietf-policy-reqs-00.txt

Some of the documents are pretty big. So I don't expect that everybody
has read them in detail. But I think its generally worth to understand
what is currently going on with regard to policy-driven networks.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:05:49 +0200
From: Luca Deri <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: Finsiel S.p.A.
To: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] 4th NMRG meeting in Zurich
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi all,
I plan to attend both DSOM and the NMRG meeting. I should arrive the
10th and leave the following Sunday. If possible I would like to ask you
to leave a day off for a 1-day trip to Geneva @ Telecom '99.

Cheers, Luca.

-- 
Luca Deri		 Finsiel S.p.A.
Via Matteucci 34/B	 56124 Pisa, Italy.
Ph. +39/050/968.639      Fax. +39/050/968.626
Email: [email-masked] WWW: http://www.tlcpi.finsiel.it/~deri/
Software is about stuff, about getting hands dirty - Jim Coplien

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:19:23 +0200
From: Ron Sprenkels <[email-masked]>
Organization: University of Twente
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
CC: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] 4th NMRG meeting in Zurich
Sender: [email-masked]

Juergen,

> I would also like to know who will be able to attend the meeting in
> Zurich so that we can finalize the logistics.

A quick (well, today anyway) reply to the logistics question:
Both Aiko and me will be there, Bert-Jan won't. We arrive october 9
19:00, and leave on october 15, 22:00. We're staying in Hotel Leoneck,
Leonhardstrasse 1, 8001 Zurich, phone 01 254 22 22.

regards,

Ron.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Sprenkels  [email-masked]  
http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~sprenkel
University of Twente, Department of Computer Science, TSS Management
group 
P.O. Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands.    (Tel. +31 53 489
4663)

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 99 14:20:48 DST
From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] 4th NMRG meeting in Zurich
Sender: [email-masked]

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:14:12 +0200

Subject: Re:   [nmrg] 4th NMRG meeting in Zurich

I will probably not be at DSOM.
I may be able (not sure yet) to fly over for 1 day for NMRG meeting.
In that case, I would prefer to see the policy and smicng dicsussions
on one day, so I can participate in those.

Bert

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:14:12 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] 4th NMRG meeting in Zurich
Sender: [email-masked]

I think it is time now to finalize the plans for the next NMRG meeting
and to get back to serious work after the Summer break we have had.

Jean-Philippe was so kind to organize the meeting logistics. We have a
meeting room at the ETH Zurich, Switzerland on October 14-15, just
after DSOM'99. Our local host is Burkhard Stiller. I just created a
Web page with this information on the NMRG web server and I plan to
update it with more detailed information about the meeting place once
I receive more details.

We also have to discuss what we want to do in Zurich. Jean-Philippe
already posted a draft agenda about a months ago. I generally think
that we should not spend too much time on the "bulk data transfer"
stuff. We should certainly review where we are and how we can get to a
conclusion on this topic, but this should IMHO not take more than a
half day. We probably need to spend most of this half day to discuss
the bulk retrieval MIB fragment provided by Dave Thaler and how that
relates to the getsubtree/compress/tcp approach.

I hope that we have updated specs for the getsubtree/compress/tcp
approach available next week. Erik Schoenfelder did a great job in
implementing an initial version of getsubtree in the Linux CMU code
base. I hope to have some numbers available about the overall
improvements we get based on this early prototype implementation in
Zurich. (I will certainly bring the code with me to the meeting.)

Other topics already in the NMRG queue are the SMIng document written
by Frank Strauss and Jean-Philippe's web-based management work.

What I personally would like to add to the agenda is a discussion on
what is called policy-based network management these days. I know that
this is currently a hot topic for the IETF and for several vendors. I
got involved into some of the IETF discussions recently and I think
the NMRG could be a good place to further discuss architectural
concepts. Zurich might also be a good place to get additional insights
from policy experts who happen to be in Zurich anyway at that time.

Hence, I propose to split up our time as follows:

- One day discussion of policy-based network management issues.
- Half day discussion on bulk transfer issues (including Dave
  Thaler's MIB fragment).
- Half day for other discussions (e.g. SMIng or web-based management).

Please let me know ASAP what you think about this plan. I am certainly
willing to change my mind if people want to have the focus elsewhere.

I would also like to know who will be able to attend the meeting in
Zurich so that we can finalize the logistics.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>