Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Standardisation of a Java API

From: Pid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:49:54 +0100

Hi all,

I'm interested in working with other Java programmers to develop a
standardised API for OAuth 2.0.

I have reviewed the recent archives, but don't see anything in the way
of discussion on this topic.  If anyone can point me to a location where
it is being discussed I'd be grateful.

I think it would be good if the OAuth community was able to agree a spec
and then for implementors to have something to focus their efforts
against, instead of produced many different and incompatible libraries.

There are obviously challenges in attempting this before the v2.0 itself
is final, but perhaps the effort will inform the overall debate.

The different Java implementations of OAuth version 1.0 each have
varying features and levels of complexity.  Most implementations focus
on the client component and don't provide server components at all.
I'd like to improve on that in a Java API.

Some ideas I have include specifying that, in addition to programmatical
configuration, an implementation should allow ServiceLoader and XML
based configurations, and perhaps even an Annotation based config.

I'd like to hear from anyone who'd be interested in combining efforts,
Java programmer or not.

Cheers,

Pid

---

From: Simone Gianni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:49:40 +0200

Hi Pid,
I'm also interested in developing a Java library for OAuth 2. There is an
Apache Lab (labs.apache.org , lab named Amber) working on an OAuth 1 Java
API, it could (will) eventually move to Incubator if we manage to get enough
momentum.

It would be nice to have a Java API that integrates with existing systems,
like JAAS and Spring Security (formerly known as Acegi). That would ease the
migration for all the frameworks and existing systems that already use those
libraries.

Simone

2010/4/15 Pid <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth
>
>

---

From: Paul Lindner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:18:11 -0700

Ditto here.  Apache Shindig uses OAuth extensively and we would like to
upgrade it to OAuth 2.0.  The current stable java oauth library is okay, but
does not have an active developer community, and isn't even published to
maven central.

I just had a peek at Amber, looks fairly decent.  I can help move this to
Apache incubating if people are interested.

---

From: Pid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:37:05 +0100

On 21/04/2010 19:18, Paul Lindner wrote:
> upgrade it to OAuth 2.0.  The current stable java oauth library is okay,
> but does not have an active developer community, and isn't even
> published to maven central.

Both of those we can fix.

> I just had a peek at Amber, looks fairly decent.  I can help move this
> to Apache incubating if people are interested.

This also sounds promising.

p

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Simone Gianni <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     Hi Pid,
>     I'm also interested in developing a Java library for OAuth 2. There
>     is an Apache Lab (labs.apache.org <http://labs.apache.org> , lab
>     named Amber) working on an OAuth 1 Java API, it could (will)
>     eventually move to Incubator if we manage to get enough momentum.
> 
>     It would be nice to have a Java API that integrates with existing
>     systems, like JAAS and Spring Security (formerly known as Acegi).
>     That would ease the migration for all the frameworks and existing
>     systems that already use those libraries.
> 
>     Simone
> 
>     2010/4/15 Pid <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> 
>         Hi all,
> 
>         [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Simone Gianni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:38:13 +0200

Hi Paul,
yes, we have 3 Apache people (me, you, Simone Tripodi), one Apache
contributor with filed CLA (Pid) that want to contribute his code base, and
received some interest from other people, so I think we could start
preparing an Incubator proposal. You can have a look at Simone Tripodi's
proposal for the Amber lab that can be a good starting point.

Anyone else on OAuth list is interested?

Simone

2010/4/21 Paul Lindner <[email-masked]>

---

From: Simone Tripodi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:02:57 +0200

Hi all guys, Paul very nice to meet you :)
at the era I started writing the first version of the Amber proposal,
my Cocoon3 mates Reinhard Poetz and Steven Dolg were interested, I'll
ping them to get them involved.
Quick question: can anyone tell me please where I can share the first
draft of the proposal? Thanks in advance!
Simo

http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Simone Gianni <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> systems, like JAAS and Spring Security (formerly known as Acegi). That would
>>> ease the migration for all the frameworks and existing systems that already
>>> use those libraries.
>>>
>>> Simone
>>>