Subject: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth 2 delegation flow names

From: Marius Scurtescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:16:33 -0700

Hi,

I find the names of the user delegation flows a bit misleading. These
flows are currently named: "User-Agent", "Web Server" and "Device".
The names are pointing to the typical client for these flows, but
these are not the only use cases, and this is where it can be
misleading.

For example:
- "User-Agent" can also be used use by native apps and web apps
- "Web Server" can also be used by JavaScript based clients and native apps
- "Device" can also be used by native apps and web apps

Instead of naming them after a typical client, maybe we can name them
based on some technical characteristics of the flow.

The "User-Agent" flow is characterized by the fact that the access
token is returned directly to the client, no verification code step is
used.

The "Web Server" flow is characterized by the fact that a verification
code is first returned which then needs to be exchanged for tokens
with a direct call from client to authz server.

The "Device" flow is mainly characterized by the fact that a polling
mechanism is used to retrieve the tokens.

How about the following names:
- "Web Server" -> "Verification Code"
- "Device" -> "Polling"

Not sure about the User-Agent flow. Since this flow does not have any
direct calls from client to authz server, everything is passed through
the browser, "User-Agent" could be the right name?

Thoughts?

Marius

---

From: David Recordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:47:16 -0700

I'd strongly prefer them to be named based on where they're largely
intended for us. "Polling" has become a bad word especially with the
advent of PubSubHubbub and doesn't describe that it's meant for us on
hardware devices.

--David

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Marius Scurtescu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth
>

---

From: David Recordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:47:23 -0700

s/us/use/