Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Comments on draft-jones-oauth-resource-metadata-00

From: George Fletcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 13:10:48 -0400

Mike, thanks for drafting and publishing these specifications. I have a 
couple of questions regarding the draft-jones-oauth-resource-metadata-00.

1. Is a "protected resource" a server? or an actual API endpoint. The 
non-normative examples use /.well-known/oauth-protected-resource and 
/resource1/.well-known/oauth-protected-resource which is a little 
unclear. I think of "resource" as something like "Mail" or "Instant 
Messaging".

2. Assuming that "protected resource" means an actual API endpoint, what 
is the expected location of the metadata for a fully REST compliant API 
where the full URL points to a specific resource and not the concept of 
a general API.

    Using an example of an IdP that supports user management
    capabilities. Let's assume the IdP supports a REST API of...

         CREATE -- POST https://idp.example.com/tenant/<tenantid>/users
         READ -- GET
    https://idp.example.com/tenant/<tenantid>/users/<userid>
         UPDATE --
    PUThttps://idp.example.com/tenant/<tenantid>/users/<userid>
         DELETE --
    DELETEhttps://idp.example.com/tenant/<tenantid>/users/<userid>

    Assuming there are 3 tenants (tenantA, tenantB, tenantB) and lots of
    users. Where does the .well-known/oauth-protected-resource get added?

        ??
    https://idp.example.com/tenant/tenantA/users/1232234/.well-known/oauth-protected-resource

    In this case would not the oauth-protected-resource metadata be
    duplicated across the set of tenants and users? Is that the desired
    behavior?

Thanks,
George