Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-08.txt

From: Travis Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 18:01:59 +0100

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 2:11 PM Brian Campbell
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I agree with Ben here that it's not at all clear that the OAuth MTLS document should have defined a protocol from proxy to backend.

Shouldn't it at least normalitvely reference some other spec then? If
that reference is not defined before this draft is finalized, one
could say they comply with the final mTLS spec but in a
non-interoperable way.

---

From: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 06:39:35 -0700

The goal of the draft-ietf-oauth-mtls document is to define the pieces
needed for interoperability between the OAuth client, AS and RS. It's not
intended to define or prescribe the internal implementation details of
those entities. Although this particular implementation detail came up
enough to make it into the document with
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-mtls-17#section-6.5 saying
it's possible but the specifics are explicitly out of scope. It would have
made sense to reference something there informatively, if such a thing
existed. But as far as I know there's not anything that fits the bill. So
draft-ietf-oauth-mtls, which is currently in the RFC editor's quere so
kinda beyond accepting changes at this point, says that "how the client
certificate metadata is securely communicated between the intermediary and
the application server in this case is out of scope of this specification."

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM Travis Spencer <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > I agree with Ben here that it's not at all clear that the OAuth MTLS
> document should have defined a protocol from proxy to backend.
>

-- 
_CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged 
material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, 
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have 
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately 
by e-mail and delete the message and any file attachments from your 
computer. Thank you._