Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Reminder - Interim Meeting to discuss DPoP

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 13:54:00 -0500

All,

This is a reminder that we have an Interim meeting this Monday, Nov 30th @
12:00pm ET, to discuss the latest with the *DPoP *document:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dpop/

You can find the details of the meeting and the slides here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2020-oauth-16/session/oauth

Regards,
 Rifaat & Hannes

---

From: Denis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:45:20 +0100

One comment on slide 5 about the /time window/.

At the bottom, on the left, it is written: "Only valid for a limited 
/time window/ relative to creation time".

While the creation time is defined by "iat", the /time window/ is 
currently left at the discretion of each RS.

It would be preferable to mandate the inclusion in the JWT of the exp 
(Expiration Time) Claim.
In this way, the /time window /would be defined by the AS using both the 
"iat" and the "exp" claims.

This would have the following advantages:

  * The client will know whether a token is still usable and is unlikely
    to get a rejection of the token
    because of an unknown time window defined by a RS.

  * The RS is able to manage better the "jti" claim values, because it
    will be able to discard "jti" claim values
    as soon as they are outside the time window defined by the AS in a JWT.

Denis

> All,
>
> This is a reminder that we have an Interim meeting this Monday, Nov 
> 30th @ 12:00pm ET, to discuss the latest with the *DPoP *document:
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dpop/>
>
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2020-oauth-16/session/oauth>
>
> Regards,
>  Rifaat & Hannes
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth

---

From: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 09:49:24 -0700

Hi Denis,

The choice to use "iat" vs. "exp" was made in the summer of last year. You
can see some of the discussion from then in
https://github.com/danielfett/draft-dpop/issues/38. I believe it pretty
well has consensus at this point and thus unlikely to be changed.

While I do believe there are reasonable arguments that can be made on both
sides of using either of "iat" or "exp", it's difficult (and honestly time
consuming and very frustrating) to try and have such discussions or even
respond in a coherent way when fundamental aspects of the draft are
misrepresented or misunderstood. For example, the DPoP proof JWT is created
by the client not the AS so the advantages you put forward are nonsensical
in the context of the actual workings of the draft.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 8:45 AM Denis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> One comment on slide 5 about the *time window*.
>
> At the bottom, on the left, it is written: "Only valid for a limited *time
> window* relative to creation time".
>
> While the creation time is defined by "iat", the *time window* is
> In this way, the *time window *would be defined by the AS using both the
>    - The client will know whether a token is still usable and is unlikely
>    - The RS is able to manage better the "jti" claim values, because it
> OAuth mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth
>
>

-- 
_CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged 
material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, 
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have 
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately 
by e-mail and delete the message and any file attachments from your 
computer. Thank you._