Subject: Re: Reference for "IETF name space"?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:50:45 -0500

David wrote:

> 2440bis specifies the IETF space as anything without a '@' sign
> in it, so "COMMENT" would be a perfectly valid notation tag.
...
> > Lastly, does anyone happen to know whether/how PGP8 supports
>notations?
>
> Silently ignores them, though it does properly fail signature
> verification if the notation is marked critical.  That is RFC
> compliant behavior.
...

literally 'anything' is acceptable in the space, but with a minor
difference,
between gnupg and pgp as to the form of acceptablilty:

gnupg requires a ':', or it interprets it as an 'improper header',
but does not require any specific position for the ':', as long as it is 
anywhere on the same line.
{in this message, the ':' after the word 'version' has been omitted,
but the signature verifies ok, because there is a ':' in the emoticon of
the
version line.}

this message has a collection of the common notations, as well as an 
'anything' notation.

for purposes of uniformity and avoidance of confusion,
can gnupg allow the absence of the ':' ?

with Respect,

vedaal

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: OpenPGP {combined GnuPG/PGP :)  }
Comment: { Acts of Kindness better the World, and protect the Soul }
Comment: KeyID: 0x6A05A0B785306D25
Comment: Fingerprint: 96A6 5F71 1C43 8423  D9AE 02FD A711 97BA
Charset: Ancient Klingon ;)
Message id: only for those who care to know ;)
Anything: really 'anything' ;)

iQEVAwUBPcaVK2oFoLeFMG0lAQPd4wf7BrAQkVxB/6NI04XmAmkBxfXiYhgZuqBa
9PXpKpgJqMilPmhQtcQbOcULyMNpjsICmq9OMcJommFE0SEnCmHqWRw56DiPeCXt
JUqHSgC5PTVDjG0XdFyPSzta+sDqtW8kop1FtqP0c0Gk1UA67noIqHROKKad3KoI
/2fMcnH7gRGsowv+oXDYcEDYiY8MD7yofDs4xhZRlV3KiTJypRytEXuB94qV8VeZ
1uaXqGDw++3HnxR23wi7EUE9WubRWJudEO7rRSv5f5UT+lfriVebk0N6QdASp6pW
ANyT936jrN4hexKqKHllG4+2G0kuaVPeXR59pnXJJE5EraU7TCDaEA==
=mLwM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:00:52 -0500

...
...

with Respect,

vedaal

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version OpenPGP {combined GnuPG/PGP :)  }

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----