Subject: New 'User Attribute Packet' subpacket - Named Attribute Subpacket (type 0)

From: David Srbecky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:19:36 +0200

Hello,

In my humble opinion this is the most important attribute of all. That's 
why I suggest assigning it the special type 0. This attribute is 
supposed to be used for any user specific, program specific or 
experimental data. It is similar to the mail X- headers - it allows 
users to store identifiable information, which is not suitable for 
standardization or is not standardized yet.

Named Attribute Subpacket (type 0)
----------------------------------
Subpacket specific data:
    datatype - identifier - eg. 4 - UTF8 string
    name - UTF8 string - eg. "ICQ#"
    data - depends on datatype - eg. "123-456-789"

NB: size of data is given by the size of subpacket minus the size of 
datatype identifier and the size of the name.

Datatypes:
    0 - reserved
    1 - no data (it is just named flag)
    2 - boolean
    3 - integer
    4 - UTF8 string
    5 - URL
    6 - image
    7 - binary
    8 - binary file
    100-110 - private or experimental use

NB: Binary type holds just some unspecified binary data. On the other 
hand, binary file type holds file that can be saved to disk and the name 
of the attribute represents its filename (including path???).

I believe that this attribute would allow the user to store anything he 
wants in his public key. It does not matter what it is, the important 
thing is that is would be possible. Let the users and developers be 
creative!

Regards,
David Srbecky

---

From: Ian G <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:14:08 +0100

> standardization or is not standardized yet.

This sounds like a new feature request.  I vote no,
we are in last call.  Apologies, I think you've turned
up too late for this one.

iang