Subject: arer account has been

From: Fellows <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 03:52:09 +0200

those at the level of the clerestory, are blocked. On this side the
transept is lighted from the clerestory by two Norman windows. In both
east and west walls there is a very fine Norman moulded double arch. In
the west wall Perpendicular windows have cut into the Norman work, and a
large Perpendicular window nearly fills the south wall with panelling
round it of the same period. *Monuments in the South Transept.*--There
is an interesting altar-tomb of Sir Alexander Denton, 1576, of
Hillesden, Co. Bucks, Esq., and his lady and a child in swaddling
clothes, toward the south-east angle of the transept. The effigies are
in alabaster, and retain considerable traces of colour. They are in full
proportion, and the knight wears a double chain and holds a cross in his
hands. The Dentons were ancestors of the Coke family, now Earls of
Leicester. The swaddled body of the child lies to the left of its
mother, its head resting on a little double pillow by her knee, and a
part of the red cloth on which she lies wraps over the lower part of the
babe. To the right of the knight, balancing the child in the
composition, lie his two gauntlets or mail gloves, which have been much
scratched with names. The head of the knight rests upon his helmet.
Round the verge of the tomb is this inscription: "Here lieth Alexander
Denton, of Hillesden, in the County of Buckingham, and Anne his wife,
Dowghter and Heyr of Richard Willyson of Suggerwesh in the Countie of
Hereford; which Anne deceased the 29th of October, A.D. 1566 the 18th
yere of her Age, the 23rd of his Age." "But," says Browne Willis, "this
was but a caenotaph, for Alexander Dento