Subject: [openpgp] Proposed WG charter

From: "Christopher LILJENSTOLPE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 20:28:18 -0700

Greetings,

	Here's  a first cut of the charter.  We'd like to get this process started ASAP, so please make any comments, suggestions as soon as possible.

	It's also available as a gist https://gist.github.com/liljenstolpe/a4a45477d1b89ea45e09

	Christopher

An Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy (openpgp)
=======================================================

Charter
-------

Chairs:
     Christopher Liljenstolpe <[email-masked]>
     Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
     Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
     Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
     Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/openpgp
     Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/

Description of Working Group
----------------------------

OpenPGP is an Internet standard that covers object encryption, object
signing, and identity certification.  These were defined by the first
incarnation of the OpenPGP working group.

The following is an excerpt from the charter of the original
incarnation of the openpgp working group

> The goal of the OpenPGP working group is to provide IETF standards
> for the algorithms and formats of PGP processed objects as well as
> providing the MIME framework for exchanging them via e-mail or other
> transport protocols.

The working group concluded this work and was closed in March
of 2008.  In the intervening period, there has been a rough consensus
reached that the RFC that defined the IETF openpgp standard, RFC4880,
is in need of revision.

This incarnation of the working group is chartered to primarily
produce a revision of RFC4880 to address issues that have been
identified by the community since the working group was originally
closed.

The Working Group will perform the following work
-------------------------------------------------

Revise RFC4880

Other work may be entertained by the working group as long as it does
not interfere with the completion of the RFC4880 revision.  As the
revision of RFC4880 is primary goal of the working group, and other
work will also not unduly delay the closure of the working group
after the revision is finished (unless the working group is
rechartered).

Working Group Process
---------------------

The working group will endeavor to complete most if not all of its
work online on the working group's mailing list.  We expect that the
requirement for face-to-face sessions at IETF meetings to be minimal.

Furthermore, the working group will accept no ID's as working group
items unless there is a review by at least two un-interested parties
of the ID as part of the acceptance process.

Goals and Milestones
--------------------

July 2016: Deliver an RFC 4880bis WG ID to the RFC editor

-- 
李柯睿
Avt tace, avt loqvere meliora silentio
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf
keybase: https://keybase.io/liljenstolpe

---

From: Peter Pentchev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 13:00:26 +0300

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 08:28:18PM -0700, Christopher LILJENSTOLPE wrote:
> Greetings,
> 
> Here's  a first cut of the charter.  We'd like to get this process
> started ASAP, so please make any comments, suggestions as soon as
> possible.
[snip]
> work...

Just a very, very minor comment: is this supposed to be "any other work"
instead of "and"?

> ...will also not unduly delay the closure of the working group

G'luck,
Peter

-- 
Peter Pentchev  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
PGP key:        http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/roam.key.asc
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 20:34:23 +0200

On Sun, 31 May 2015 05:28, [email-masked] said:

> 	Here's a first cut of the charter.  We'd like to get this
> 	process started ASAP, so please make any comments, suggestions
> 	as soon as possible.

Fine with me.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

-- 
Die Gedanken sind frei.  Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.