Subject: [openpgp] AEAD mode unverified chunks

From: Marcus Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 18:10:10 +0200

RFC4880bis should clarify that unverified plaintext must not be output
in AEAD mode.

I suggest adding this sentence:

5.16  AEAD Encrypted Data Packet (Tag 20)

[...]

If a chunk can not be authenticated, implementations MUST discard the
plaintext without further processing.  Unauthenticated plaintext MUST
not be output to other applications or the user.

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 06:53:46 +0000

Marcus Brinkmann <marcus.brinkmann=[email-masked]> writes:

>plaintext without further processing.  Unauthenticated plaintext MUST not be
>output to other applications or the user.

Unfortunately it's nowhere near as simple as that, in general, this is an
unsolveable problem.  See:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6476#section-6

for a discussion.

Peter.