Subject: Conference relevant to OPES

From: "The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:49:35 -0600

If you're working on an OPES paper, this might be a good conference to
submit it to.

Hilarie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sixth IEEE Conference on Open Architectures and Network Programming
                      (Co-Located with INFOCOM 2003)
                             April 4-5, 2003
                            San Francisco, CA
                     Evolving Future Network Services
                             Call for Papers

The Sixth IEEE Conference on Open Architectures and Network
Programming (OPENARCH) will focus software and hardware technologies
required to facilitate the evolution of the Internet to better support
new services.  OPENARCH is an international forum with a single-track
format that provides researchers and developers with a focused, highly
interactive opportunity to present and discuss current work and future
directions in network services, and in open, programmable network
architectures.

Open and programmable networking is driven by the desire to allow the
Internet to continue its rapid evolution whilst becoming the commercial
network infrastructure of choice.  However, over the last decade
technological advances have led the network infrastructure to become
more complex rather than less (multiple technologies, protocols and
topological layers), obstructing the introduction of new network
services. Over the last few years the open and programmable networking
community has redefined the basic architecture of networking systems
and has blurred the distinctions between routers and end-systems. At
the same time, new services, such as p2p systems, have become
immensely popular; they pose significant challenges for network
providers and impose new requirements on the underlying infrastructure.

The goal of OPENARCH 2003 is to move forward the discussion and
understanding of these issues in networking systems, network services
and wide-area service deployment. We solicit submission of high quality
original research in these areas, with emphasis on implementations and
experimentation. Authors are invited to submit full papers for
consideration. Suggested topics include:

     * Active and programmable networks
     * Hardware and software implementation techniques
     * Modeling of network services in open network architectures
     * New network services and applications
     * Overlay, virtual, and peer-to-peer networks
     * Programming for pricing, accounting, and billing
     * Proxies, middleboxes, and mediation devices
     * Reliability of programmable networking technologies
     * Security in an open networks and distributed applications
     * Service creation platforms and enabling technologies

Instructions for Authors

Papers must be formatted according to the IEEE standard double-column
format.  All papers must be in the 11pt font.  Please note:
submissions longer than 9 pages will not be reviewed.  Authors are
requested to submit papers in the Adobe Portable Document Format
(PDF).  Instructions for electronic submissions are available at:
http://www.openarch.org .

Accepted paper(s) will be published in a bound Conference
Proceedings. A CD-ROM version will be available as well.

Deadlines
Deadline for registration of papers    November 10th, 2002
Deadline for receipt of papers         November 17th, 2002
Notification of acceptance mailed      January   5th, 2003
Final camera-ready papers due          January  17th, 2003

Financial Support
We expect a limited number of travel stipends to be available. Students
whose papers are accepted and who will present the paper themselves are
encouraged to apply if such assistance is needed. Requests for stipends
should be addressed to the General Chair. A limited number of IEEE
Communications Society Student Travel Grants may be available for
student authors from outside North America.

Organizing Committee
General Chair:  Simon Crosby, CPlane Inc.
Program Co-chair:  Gisli Hjalmtysson, Reykjavik Univ.
Program Co-chair:  Bobby Bhattacharjee, Univ. of Maryland
Publicity Chair:  Tilman Wolf, Univ. of Massachusetts
Webmaster:  Rob Sherwood, Univ. of Maryland

Program Committee
Mostafa Ammar, Georgia Tech       Danny Raz, Technion
Herbert Bos, Leiden Univ.         Sean Rooney, IBM
Bob Braden, ISI                   Timothy Roscoe, Intel
John Byers, Boston Univ.          Antony Rowstron, Microsoft Research
Ken Calvert, Univ. of Kentucky    Dan Rubenstein, Columbia Univ.
Andrew Campbell, Columbia Univ.   Jonathan Smith, UPENN
Hermann De Meer, UCL              Oliver Spachek, AT&T Labs
Jim Griffioen, Univ. of Kentucky  Cormac Sreenan, Univ. College Cork
John Hartman, Univ. of Arizona    James Sterbenz, BBN Technologies
David Hutchinson, Lancaster Univ. Joe Touch, USC/ISI
Scott Karlin, Princeton Univ.     Franco Travostino, Nortel
Pete Keleher, Univ. of Maryland   Christian Tschudin, Univ. of Basel
Aurel Lazar, Columbia Univ.       Jonathan Turner, Washington Univ.
Ian Leslie, Univ. of Cambridge    Raj Yavatkar, Intel
Kobus van der Merwe, AT&T Labs    Ellen Zegura, Georgia Tech
Bernhard Plattner, ETH Zurich     Hui Zhang, Turin Networks & CMU
K. K. Ramakrishnan, AT&T Labs