Subject: IESG concerns regarding the OPES requirements and architecture documents

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:59:05 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the drafts

   ietf-opes-protocol-reqs-03.txt
   draft-ietf-opes-architecture-04.txt

for publication as informational RFCs. An announcement to this effect will be
sent shortly. As explained previously, the IESG believes that
draft-ietf-opes-scenarios-01.txt is too dependent on
draft-ietf-opes-threats-00.txt to publish at this time.

The IESG is concerned, however, that what appears in these drafts is a fairly
high level overview of OPES requirements and architecture. Missing is any
mention of specific mechanisms to provide security and congestions.

This is not necessarily a problem given these are informational requirement and
architecture documents. However, the IESG notes that the lack of specificity
at this point could lead to problems deciding on actual protocol
details later in the process. Requirement and architecture documents have often
proved to be useful tools in reaching consensus on subsequent protocol
specifications.

Should difficulties arise in reaching consensus later it may be necessary and
useful to expand on these documents with information about specific mechanisms
to be used.

				Ned Freed,
				for the IESG