Subject: Document Action: Requirements for OPES Callout Protocols to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:15:47 -0500

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Informational 
RFCs:

o 'Requirements for OPES Callout Protocols' 
     <draft-ietf-opes-protocol-reqs-03.txt>
o 'An Architecture for Open Pluggable Edge Services (OPES)' 
     <draft-ietf-opes-architecture-04.txt>

These documents are the product of the Open Pluggable Edge Services 
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik 
Faltstrom.

An announcement to this effect will be sent shortly. As explained 
previously, the IESG believes that draft-ietf-opes-scenarios-01.txt 
is too dependent on draft-ietf-opes-threats-00.txt to publish at this 
time.

The IESG is concerned, however, that what appears in these drafts is a 
fairly high level overview of OPES requirements and architecture. 
Missing is any mention of specific mechanisms to provide security and 
congestions.

This is not necessarily a problem given these are informational 
requirement and architecture documents. However, the IESG notes that 
the lack of specificity at this point could lead to problems deciding 
on actual protocol details later in the process. Requirement and 
architecture documents have often proved to be useful tools in 
reaching consensus on subsequent protocol specifications.

Should difficulties arise in reaching consensus later it may be 
necessary and useful to expand on these documents with information 
about specific mechanisms to be used.