Subject: OCP version head_sid3 available

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:36:19 -0600 (MDT)

To the best of my knowledge, all new specific OCP comments that caused
no further objections/questions are now applied to the draft. That
includes a large blob of text from Hilarie Orman (posted by Abbie
Barbir). I also made a few additions/improvements. The [major] change
log is quoted below. The latest snapshot, including XML sources for
those doing hands-on modifications, is available at

	http://www.measurement-factory.com/tmp/opes/

Please continue to comment and work on the to-do list. I am especially
interested in feedback regarding the new "OCP application" approach,
outlined on this list earlier.

Thank you,

Alex.

-------------- change log ----------------

Appendix A. Change Log
<168>
<169>
   o  clarified application message definition and OCP boundaries by
      introducing three kinds of "applications": processor input,
      processor output, and OCP application
<170>
   o  made "Overall Operation" a top-level section since it got long and
      has its own subsections now; lots of editorial changes in this
      sections, new figures
<171>
   o  added illustrations of OCP messages, transactions, and connections

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 19:52:54 -0400

>       processor output, and OCP application

Apology if this has been addressed before, but it seems the term "OCP 
application" might be a little bit confusing in this context. Isn't it 
the case that it describes that payload type pf the OCP message, so 
that we could use "OCP payload type" rather than OCP application?

-Markus

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:46:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Markus Hofmann wrote:

> Apology if this has been addressed before, but it seems the term
> "OCP application" might be a little bit confusing in this context.
> Isn't it the case that it describes that payload type pf the OCP
> message, so that we could use "OCP payload type" rather than OCP
> application?

I agree that "OCP application" is awkward. However, we are not talking
just about OCP message payload. The term refers to the set of
agreements (a protocol) covering things like:
	- meta-data encoding
	- required meta-data fields and their meaning
	- data encoding
	- data meaning
The exact combination is unknown a priory. For example, in some cases,
it may make sense to agree on meta-data and let meta-data describe
data encoding and meaning.

The "other side" of OCP communication does not know what it is getting
in meta-data and data fields. It needs to be told about encoding and
meanings, just like, say, HTTP defines HTTP message encoding and
meaning.

Again, a better term than "OCP application" would be great, but it has
to cover all of the above things. It is the result of OCP agents
negotiations about data and meta-data.

Another important thing is that it should be easy to show that there
is no documented/required relationship among processor input
application, OCP application (or whatever we call it), and processor
output application. When all three are "applications", the
explanations are easy.

Suggestions?

Alex.

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:56:27 -0400

> negotiations about data and meta-data.

What you describe above (i.e. meta-data encoding, data encoding, 
etc.), isn't that is some sense a profile for the data to be exchanged 
via OCP, basically an "OCP profile"? The actual data to be exchanged 
and described by the profile would be "OCP data"...

-Markus

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:50:32 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Markus Hofmann wrote:

> via OCP, basically an "OCP profile"?

I guess you can call the above an "OCP profile", though an "OCP
payload profile" would be more accurate: data and metadata are OCP
payload, the profile does not describe OCP but only its payload. A
profile describing data and metadata.

> The actual data to be exchanged and described by the profile would
> be "OCP data"...

THE question is "what is am-id referring to?" A complete data+metadata
blob with no name? In the current model the thing referred to by am-id
is called "OCP application message". Hopefully, we can find a better
name for that entity.

Alex.