Subject: RE : [end points comm] OPES System

From: GOUTARD Cédric FTRD/DMI/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:35:20 +0200

Markus,

From a carrier and/or ISP point of view, your arguments are completely relevant.
Indeed, the "OPES system" could give information about the services it 
provides but nothing about the number of OPES processors, their IP 
address, their specific version...
 
I hope that this comment will help finding a "deployable" solution.
 
Regards

Cedric 
[ France Telecom R&D ]

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Markus Hofmann [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Envoyé : lundi 11 août 2003 19:37
À : [email-masked]
Objet : Re: [end points comm] OPES System

The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman wrote:

> I think the concept of an "OPES system" being traceable, without 
> requiring each OPES processor to be traceable, is unsupportable. It 
> will not satisfy anyone, and it will lead to endless arguments about 
> what constitutes compliance.

If I recall correctly, there were two arguments that lead to this concept:

(1) Carriers are typically hesitant to reveal information about their 
internal network infrastructure, i.e. they don't want to provide 
information (e.g. the IP address) about their internal network elements.

(2) OPES processors might be configured to use non-routable, private 
IP addresses inside a carrier's network. How would they be identified?

A user having problems/concerns would trace and contact the carrier 
who provided an OPES service (without tracing the exact OPES 
processor/callout server). It's up to the carrier to have maintained 
approriate internal detailed traces to find the answer to the 
customer's inquery.

Anyone any thoughts or comments on that issue? This is a very 
important topic and we must get WG consensus on it, so please post 
your views to the mailing list!

-Markus