Subject: is there OPES prototype proxy?

From: Red K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:48:10 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

It is an fresh man's topic.
But I still want to know if there is any prototype
OPES proxy that supports Proxylet Local Execution
Environment Java Binding V0.1. Thus I can develope my
proxylet because I am interested in OPES.

Thank you very much.

Red K

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Play now and stand a chance to win cash prizes! 
http://yahoo.com.sg/millionaire

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:26:08 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, [iso-8859-1] Red K wrote:

> It is an fresh man's topic. But I still want to know if there is any
> prototype OPES proxy that supports Proxylet Local Execution
> Environment Java Binding V0.1. Thus I can develope my proxylet
> because I am interested in OPES.

I am working on a prototype OPES proxy. It almost talks OCP to a
prototype callout service being developed by Martin Stecher. There is
no proxylet support. I heard proxylets were a popular topic long time
ago, but there were no proxylets mentioned on this list for quite a
while now. If you are interested in OPES, the shortest path to a
working system may be to write a callout server that speaks OCP. One
can write such a server in Java, of course.

HTH,

Alex.

---

From: Red K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:05:04 +0800 (CST)

Yes, I also mentioned that proxylet is not discussed
for a long time. But what is the reason for this? 

Is it related to system efficiency and simple
maintainance? I mean to setup one callout server is
easy to maintain and higher efficient to carry out
specific service than put them onto a single host.

 --- Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
wrote: >

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:36:50 -0400

> for a long time. But what is the reason for this? 

Reason is that the OPES WG is chartered to specify the callout 
protocol and the rules language, but *not* a proxylet interface or a 
proxylet architecture - this would be a local implementation decision 
or standardized elsewhere.

The OPES architecture does *not* rule out proxylet, but the focus of 
the WG is on the callout mechanism.

-Markus