Subject: RE: Moving Forward

From: "Martin Stecher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:10:21 +0200

Hi,

I am available for OPES protocol work and willing to act as a co-author
for OCP profile drafts.
But I am not convinced that OCP/SMTP is the next step. As there seems
to be no other interest in this we should indeed have the open SMTP
milestones to be removed from the charter, for now, IMO.
There is no current OCP/SMTP demand by the industry today.

In principle I believe that OCP has the ability to act as an universal
protocol agnostig callout protocol and that OCP/SMTP can and should be
done at some time. 

But with the limited resources we have in this group today we must focus
on those adaptations that are of immediate need and use for someone.
There we can proof that OCP is a powerful, application agnostic protocol
with useful and needed protocol profiles.
Only then we can get to first implementations that may then hopefully
cut the Gordian knot we are facing today.
And after that we may be asked to return to OCP/SMTP.

Regards
Martin

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:16:46 -0400

Martin,

so what would you propose is the next step after removing OCP/SMTP 
from the charter?

All - everyone in agreement with Martin, or does somebody see a 
need/interest for OCP/SMTP?

Thanks,
   Markus

---

From: Clemens Perz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:26:52 +0200

Hi,

If you are willing to consider the contribution of a complete greenhorn to 
this Working Group, I would like to work with Martin on the OCP/SMTP draft. 
I'm not sure if it needs to be on the Charter for that, but it should not 
be forgotten in any way.

My experience is that the people who could benefit from such a standard do 
not know about the OPES Working Group and the potential it's work creates. 
While the SMTP threats grow and the search for more flexible infrastructure 
solutions becomes more hectic, it would be nice to have the phoenix ready 
in the fire :)

The relevance of the OCP/SMTP might be underestimated by us and the 
markets, because many people do not take their time yet to get the whole 
picture. Offering a flexible protocol solution could change that very 
quickly.

Cheers,

Clemens

--On Mittwoch, 10. August 2005 20:16 -0400 Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>
> Martin,
>
> so what would you propose is the next step after removing OCP/SMTP from
> the charter?
>