Subject: FW: [opes] draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security-00

From: "Abbie Barbir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:15:11 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbir, Abbie (CAR:1A14) 
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:04 AM
To: 'Stecher,Martin'
Subject: RE: [opes] draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security-00

Martin,

Fine, we still need to state what part of RFC 3914 apply and what this
new work covers. 3914 was designed to be an umberlla document and we
should use it as a base.

I will try to contribute to section 5 If I have the TIME.

Need to mention Notification even if we do not do any thing new, just
state that they hnadeled as per ... (we need to address IAB
considerations one by one in the draft..)

Cheers,
Abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Stecher,Martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:39 AM
To: Barbir, Abbie (CAR:1A14)
Subject: RE: [opes] draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security-00

Hi Abbie,

> 
> Looking at the document,  draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security-00, I suggest 
> that the work in section 5 relate to Security Threats and Risks for 
> Open (RFC 3837) and state the additional risks and counter measures 
> that applies to the SMTP case.

RFC 3837 is one of our documents that is really application agnostic. 

RFC 3914 was too much concentrating on HTTP, that is why this draft was
written to address the SMTP specific issues in regards to the IAB
considerations handled in RFC 3914.
The Security Considerations section of RFC 3914 is very short too.

Security issues introduced by SMTP/OPES must be handled in that draft
anyway.

> 
> I think that the security section (section 5) is weak and need to be 
> beefed up.

If you have some beef, I'd be happy to add :-)

> 
> I did not see clear next on how notifications are addressed.

I thought RFC 3914 discussed the relationship between IAB notifications
and OPES tracing in detail.
Do you think the SMTP case should handle notifications in an other way
than via tracing or should the draft re-discuss that relationship as it
was done in RFC 3914?

Martin