Subject: Message

From: "PayPal"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:08:58 +0300

Dear PayPal
Member

Closing Accounts and Limiting Account Access

This is your official notification that your account has been
Limited. We recently reviewed your credit card and it seems that you
are using the same credit card for 2 accounts. As you can read in our
User Agreement ( section 2.13 ) opening multiple accounts is strictly
forbidden. You are now requested to provide information relevant to
your account. PayPal will investigate the matter promptly and if the
investigation is in your favor, we will restore your account.

PayPal Email ID PP133320

How
can I restore my account access?

Click here
to visit the Resolution
Center and complete the steps to remove
limitations.

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically
restore your account access.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Copyright © 2006 PayPal Inc. All
rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the
property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211
N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of
any page.