Subject: OPES callout protocol

From: Martin Thelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:05:05 +0100

Hi!

Is there any document or posting on the mailing-list that summarizes why
SOAP was not chose as OPES callout-protocol?
I don't want to start a discussion about this topic. I would just like
to know the reasons.

Thank you!
Martin Thelian

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:59:20 -0500

Martin,

there was quite some discussion on the mailing list about this - a 
search in the mailing list archive should point you to the emails.

Thanks,
   Markus

---

From: Martin Thelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:29:56 +0100

Hi!

Of course, I've already tried to search the mailing-list archive, but it
was not possible for me to follow the discussion. It seems that the
discussion just fizzled out. But I'll try it again.

I've found a document describing how SOAP could be used as callout protocol
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/01dec/I-D/draft-rrahman-web-service-00.txt
but I could not find a statement whether this is a good or bad solution.

Thanks,
Martin

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:01:26 -0500

Martin,

understood, but I don't have more than the mailing list archives to 
point to and the document you mentioned.

Discussions centered mainly around possible overhead of SOAP/XML and 
around special protocol features such as preview/early abort etc.

Thanks,
   Makrus

---

From: Martin Thelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 06:37:23 +0100

Hi!

I've found the following page: http://jefsey.com/ocph.htm
So it seems that SOAP previously dropped out as a callout-protocol
candidate, because of the following reasons I have collected from the
mailinglist: complexity, bandwidth, delay, size of the transported
information, no "standard" way to transmit opaque data, etc.

Thank you both for your help.

Martin