Subject: [OPS-AREA] new draft in opsawg: Requirements for IP/MPLS network transmission interruption duration

From: "fanpeng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:47:38 +0800

Greetings all,

We have recently submitted a draft in opsawg on transmission interruption
duration (draft-fan-opsawg-transmission-interuption-00
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fan-opsawg-transmission-interuption/>
). We felt it necessary to make requirements for the interruption duration
since there is no consensus on it yet in the industry. We primarily analyzed
interruption criteria for softswitch voice, and research on LTE backhaul and
other kinds of service scenarios has been in progress.

We would like to hear from you feedbacks about this draft, e.g. whether or
not there should be such requirements or methodology for the analysis. Any
comment on it will be appreciated.

The following is a brief introduction:

Today's IP/MPLS network is widely used as a bearing network to carry
diversified packet switched services. The transmission qualities of these
services are closely related to the performance of bearing layers, as
network failure, delay, congestion and other abnormities will inevitably
bring about service interruption and user perception degradation. However,
there is no consensus in the industry on transmission interruption for
IP/MPLS network up to now.  This memo studies relationships between service
performance and transmission interruption duration in several scenarios, and
is intended to reach a list of requirements for these interruption duration
criteria.

Best regards,                                 

Fan Peng