Subject: [OPSEC] Security Assessment of TCP ([Fwd: [tcpm] poll for adopting draft-gont-tcp-security])

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:35:26 -0300

Hello, folks,

Some time ago there had been a thread about the document "Security
Assessment of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)" pubished by the
UK CPNI (available at:
http://www.cpni.gov.uk/Docs/tn-03-09-security-assessment-TCP.pdf).

I have already produced an IETF I-D version of this document
(draft-gont-tcp-security) on behalf of CPNI, so that the IETF can work
on this stuff.

FWIW, my personal take (possibly biased, since I am the document author)
is that this document has been the result of a lot of work (including
the work of the many peple that reviewed the CPNI version of the
document), and that the IETF should take this chance to work and publish
something on the subject.

The TCPM chairs are currently polling the WG for input about this
document. It would be great if you could voice your opinion about
whether the TCPM should take this document on, and also if we could get
detailed reviews of this document. (Bellow you'll find a copy of the
TCPM chairs' poll)

Please send your comments to [email-masked] (and please CC me).

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Fernando

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [tcpm] poll for adopting draft-gont-tcp-security
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:25:04 -0500
From: Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon] <[email-masked]>
To: tcpm Extensions WG <[email-masked]>

TCPMers, there was a thread a while ago about working on
draft-gont-tcp-security in this working group that didn't
conclusively give us a feeling one way or other:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tcpm/current/msg04489.html

Basically, my understanding is that there are at least a
handful of people in the WG that think it should be done
here as a WG item (more likely for Informational rather
than BCP), and there are also some expressed opinions on
why it shouldn't.

Given the raw size of the document, if the WG intends to
take this document on, then we need some people to clearly
commit to putting cycles into review and contributions to
the document.  Since it is quite large, and to my knowledge,
there hasn't been a specific technical review of the content
on this list, but just discussions about if the idea in
general is a good or bad thing, we still need to know if
people are willing to invest their time and energy in this.

Please let us know if there is traction for this in the
near term, and/or we can also discuss it in Stockholm.

---------------------------
Wes Eddy
Network & Systems Architect
Verizon FNS / NASA GRC
Office: (216) 433-6682
---------------------------

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1