Subject: [OPSEC] I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 05:30:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Reconnaissance in IPv6 Networks
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Tim Chown
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-08.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2015-08-28

Abstract:
   IPv6 offers a much larger address space than that of its IPv4
   counterpart.  An IPv6 subnet of size /64 can (in theory) accommodate
   approximately 1.844 * 10^19 hosts, thus resulting in a much lower
   host density (#hosts/#addresses) than is typical in IPv4 networks,
   where a site typically has 65,000 or less unique addresses.  As a
   result, it is widely assumed that it would take a tremendous effort
   to perform address scanning attacks against IPv6 networks, and
   therefore brute-force IPv6 address scanning attacks have been
   considered unfeasible.  This document formally obsoletes RFC 5157,
   which first discussed this assumption, by providing further analysis
   on how traditional address scanning techniques apply to IPv6
   networks, and exploring some additional techniques that can be
   employed for IPv6 network reconnaissance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/