Subject: Virtual Link

From: wu min <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:19:58 +0000

Hi,

Should virtual link of a backbone area be manually configured or is there a
way to dynamically establish it through OSPF protocol?

If an area has 2 ABRs, X and Y, and both have direct connection to the
backbone area with cost metric C1 and C2 respectively. Assuming that there
exist a virtual link between these two ABRs and the cost metric of the link
is C3. If C1 > C2 + C3, does it means that X will choose the virtual link
instead of direct link to the backbone area?

Thanx.

-Tze Ven

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:24:55 -0400

> way to dynamically establish it through OSPF protocol?

Yes. At one time there was a draft where they where were established
dynamically but it didn't garner popular support.

> instead of direct link to the backbone area?

It depends on where in the backbone area you wish to go.

--
Acee