Subject: You are now subscribed to the OSPF list

From: "L-Soft list server at DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM (1.8d)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:25:23 -0400

Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:25:23

Your subscription to the OSPF list (Mailing List) has been accepted.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you are subscribing to an electronic mailing list. If you ever
need to leave  the list, you will find the  necessary instructions below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just  send mail  to [email-masked].  This is  called "sending
mail to the list," because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([email-masked]) is also called  the "list address." You must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed
to all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV address," [email-masked].  It is very important
to understand the  difference between the two, but fortunately  it is not
complicated. The LISTSERV address is like  a FAX number that connects you
to  a machine,  whereas the  list  address is  like a  normal voice  line
connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the FAX number
when you wanted to talk to someone on the phone, you will quickly realize
that you  used the wrong  number and call again.  No harm will  have been
done. If on the other hand  you accidentally make your FAX call someone's
voice  line,  the  person  receiving the  call  will  be  inconvenienced,
especially if your FAX then re-dials  every 5 minutes. The fact that most
people will eventually connect the FAX machine to the voice line to allow
the FAX  to go through  and make  the calls stop  does not mean  that you
should continue to send FAXes to  the voice number. People would just get
mad at you.  It works pretty much  the same way with  mailing lists, with
the difference  that you are calling  hundreds or thousands of  people at
the same  time, and consequently  you can expect a  lot of people  to get
upset if you consistently send commands to the list address.

You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF OSPF" command to
[email-masked]. You  can also tell LISTSERV  how you want
it to confirm the receipt of messages you send to the list. If you do not
trust the system, send a "SET  OSPF REPRO" command and LISTSERV will send
you a copy of your own messages, so that you can see that the message was
distributed and  did not get  damaged on the way.  After a while  you may
find that this is getting annoying,  especially if your mail program does
not tell you  that the message is  from you when it informs  you that new
mail has arrived from OSPF. If you send a "SET OSPF ACK NOREPRO" command,
LISTSERV will mail  you a short acknowledgement instead,  which will look
different in  your mailbox  directory. With most  mail programs  you will
know  immediately that  this is  an acknowledgement  you can  read later.
Finally,  you can  turn off  acknowledgements completely  with "SET  OSPF
NOACK NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been  set to "REPRO  NOACK CONCEAL"  rather than the  usual LISTSERV
defaults. For more information about  subscription options, send a "QUERY
OSPF" command to [email-masked].

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list of the available archive files by sending an "INDEX OSPF" command to
[email-masked].  You can  then order  these files  with a
"GET  OSPF   LOGxxxx"  command,  or  using   LISTSERV's  database  search
facilities. Send an  "INFO DATABASE" command for more  information on the
latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested version of the postings, just issue a SET OSPF DIGEST command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [email-masked].