Subject: Re: Virtual Link

From: wu min <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:39:55 +0000

Thank you Acee and Ramalingam.

However I am in doubt with Acee's comment. Please see my question below.

>>If an area has 2 ABRs, X and Y, and both have direct connection to the
>>backbone area with cost metric C1 and C2 respectively. Assuming that there
>>exist a virtual link between these two ABRs and the cost metric of the
>>link
>>is C3. If C1 > C2 + C3, does it means that X will choose the virtual link
>>instead of direct link to the backbone area?
>
>It depends on where in the backbone area you wish to go.

Could you please explain what you mean by 'where in the backbone area'?

Thanx.

-Tze Ven

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:55:33 -0400

> Could you please explain what you mean by 'where in the backbone area'?

I mean that some destination in the backbone area may be closer via
the physical interface and some may be closer via the virtual link. Your
example of "C1 > C2 + C3" doesn't really provide the necessary
information to determine whether the physical or virtual link will
be chosen to reach a given destination in the backbone area. As Ramalingam
stated, the virtual link is not treated any different from a physical
P2P link in the backbone area when calculate the best route.

> Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
> http://www.hotmail.com
>

--
Acee